Cogir of Vancouver

Reviews of Cogir of Vancouver

Assisted Living Reviews for Cogir of Vancouver

July 08, 2015

By perentsarehappy

My parents live here. They moved 2 years ago. My mom;s health and memory has greatly improved. She enjoys activities daily. My father is a leader now among the residents. He has resurrected the newsletter and shows a movie series every Saturday evening. They are so busy and happy they rarely answer their phone, The food is super good. I eat with them every Tuesday after a meeting I have there weekly. I am so happy they have found peace and happiness here. The staff are incredible and my parents are so happy!

March 19, 2015

When I got to Brookdale, it was happy hour on Christmas, and they were having a good time. It looked like a really fun place. My daughter was with me, and she liked that one the best. Everybody is having such a good time, they have entertainment going on. That was what I like the best about that particular place. They had an extra storage closet, which I thought was good. I liked their studio apartments; it seemed to be fairly good at 410sq. feet. It had this extra walk-in storage closet in addition to the clothes closet, which was nice. It had a little kitchenette. They have exercise, game rooms, and party rooms.

December 29, 2014

By Calvin4

I was very impressed with Brookdale facilities and the personnel. The person who showed us around was extremely helpful and very insightful. I was very impressed with the rooms, the dining is like a restaurant, and their grounds were very clean and well-kept. They have bingo.

October 16, 2014

By Connie38

Orchard Village was wonderful, bright, and clean. People seemed to be very friendly and engaging; I was very impressed. The dining room was wonderful, open from 7 in the morning until 7 at night and you could go anytime between. They had two trays that you could choose from during the meal time and they also had a salad bar that you could help yourself from. They have waiters and waitresses take your order. They invited us for lunch, and the food was good.

February 28, 2014

By Kim47

I like Emeritus at Orchards Village a lot. The layout was good. It kind of bordered a little bit on the big side and it also was very cozy. It looked like a lodge in the woods. The ambience of it wasn't like a medical facility or anything. This facility was able to accommodate a two-person assist that we like for my mother. They actually did a trial with my mom to see if she was a one-person assist or a two-person assist. They also had a memory care case my mother deteriorates even more. I was trying to find a place where I wouldn't need to move her again, so that was the next place that I was thinking that was going to do that. I checked their rooms and I like their sizes. They were very nice. They had washer/dryer in the room, which I thought it was very nice. The food was wonderful when we ate there. We did talk about activities. They did have bingo every night and other activities as well. The staff that I met was very nice. I really did like the facility a lot and it was going to be the place she would move into and may still be someday. They don't have many openings but they have always kept that door for us. They kept in contact with us to make sure she's still okay. I like that that they are giving us that personal attention.

February 27, 2014

By Liz Valentine

I visited Merrill Gardens and it was a cheery place. People working there were very friendly and the residents seemed happy. I thought they had typical activities like they played games and they took them out once a week to the grocery store. I was not sure about the doctor visits, if they transport them. Over all I had a good impression of it.

December 18, 2013

By Marsha10

Mom is now at Merrill Gardens (Orchards Village) and the facility is extremely lovely. I couldn’t say anything negative about it. The staff that I've met have been extremely helpful. I don’t really know much of the activities, but I know they have church, they have games, and they have arts and crafts. It’s been only a month and she has some problems adjusting but it's mainly because she has a mild dementia which was untreated, but I think she gets a little more involved each day. I haven’t eaten there, but the food looks very pleasant. My sister thinks it's wonderful, but my mother doesn’t think the food is very good.

Questions about Cogir of Vancouver

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our care staff are required to have 12 CEUs annually. They receive 8 CEUs in Dementia classes and 8 CEUs in Memory Care.

What programs or activities does Cogir of Vancouver offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer a wide range of activities from Bean Bag Baseball to outings. Cooking demonstrations and family history classes. Crafting to Happy Hours.

What transportation services does Cogir of Vancouver offer to assisted living residents?

We offer transportation for church services, weekly trips to the store and doctors appointments.

What makes the chef or dining program at Cogir of Vancouver exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We have any time dining service from 7am until 7pm daily. Our culinary team provides a broad range of options for breakfast lunch and dinner. Included are healthy choice and low sodium options.

What safety features or security measures does Cogir of Vancouver offer to assisted living residents?

In addition to the emergency pull chords located within the apartments, we also have them strategically placed in the hallways. In addition, we encourage our AL residents to take advantage of our optional pendent service.

If Cogir of Vancouver accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do except dogs and cats. All can enjoy the community excluding the dining room. Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times and residents must clean up after there pets.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

We are a 30 minute drive from Portland. Nearby you will find parks, shops, cafes and local grocery stores. We are also just minutes from the Vancouver Mall.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Cogir of Vancouver has organized?

What transportation services does Cogir of Vancouver offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Cogir of Vancouver exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

We have any time dining service from 7am until 7pm daily. Our culinary team provides a broad range of options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Included are health choice and low sodium options.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Residents can enjoy entertainment in our Bistro area for Happy Hours. Residents can also enjoy a conversation in our Fireplace lounge or a nightly movie in the media room.

What safety features or security measures does Cogir of Vancouver offer to independent living residents?

Our front desk is staffed from 8:00am until 6:30pm. After hours all main doors are locked and require a key card to enter.

We are pet friendly and small dogs and cats are more than welcomed in our community. Dogs must be kept on leash at all times and owners must clean up after them. They are welcome in any part of the building with the exception of the dining room.

Does Cogir of Vancouver work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Our Director of Nursing (RN) is on site.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have 2 to 3 during the day and swing shift and 3 overnight.

What programs or activities does Cogir of Vancouver offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a dedicated enrichment coordinator that works with our memory care residents. The coordinator puts together a monthly activity calendar that is always working towards engaging the residents from exercise to meditation to working on scrap books and art projects.

This is done by our full time Director of Nursing (RN) every 6 months or after any change of condition.

What techniques does Cogir of Vancouver use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We offer appropriate diets. We cut food if needed or if someone needs modified textures. We provide oral cues to encourage eating and if necessary provide actual eating assistance.

How does Cogir of Vancouver keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Through care plan reviews with our Director of Nursing. Any urgent or emergency situation is handles appropriately.

Describe the neighborhood around Cogir of Vancouver. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are nestled in a quiet neighborhood setting. Off the main roads lends itself to a "homey" atmosphere for the community.

Is Cogir of Vancouver affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We have two hospitals in Vancouver and work with both extensively.

Costs for Cogir of Vancouver

• Check

• Licenses: Boarding Home License

About Cogir of Vancouver

Bathing, Dressing, Toileting, Housekeeping

For seniors needing any level of daily assistance, there are plenty of on-site activities and trips specially geared to your needs and preferences. Eat well, partake in an enriching past-time, and enjoy your comfortable home.

Map of Cogir of Vancouver