Lexington is the second-largest city in Kentucky and a popular place for older adults who want to spend their retirement years in a vibrant, history- and culture-rich city. Seniors will find lots to do in Lexington, and there are 12 hospitals serving the city, along with over 300 pharmacies. In addition, the city runs a number of supportive programs for older adults. Nursing home care costs are also low in Lexington, averaging $7,178 for a semiprivate room and $8,958 for a private room, according to the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey.

While some seniors are able to age in place at home, other retirees find themselves needing a higher level of support, perhaps at an assisted living facility or through a home health care service. Seniors who require a high level of ongoing care may find a nursing home to be a better option. These facilities are staffed by trained nurses and aides, so both medical and practical day-to-day care needs can be met.

In this guide, we discuss the cost of nursing home care in Lexington and the surrounding areas and also look at some resources available to help seniors access the best care for their needs.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Lexington, KY

Sayre Christian Village Nursing Home

3775 Belleau Wood Dr, Lexington, KY, 40517

Sayre Christian Village was great, it’s a really nice place. I was checking out independent living because that’s what my mother thought she wanted. The assisted living is considerably more expensive … (read more)

Tanbark Health Care Center

1121 TANBARK ROAD, Lexington, KY, 40515

My aunt was in Tanbark Health Care Center for rehab. It was fine. (My mom was also there three years ago.) They had wonderful physical therapy, the nursing staff was very nice, and the rooms were very … (read more)

Cambridge Place

2020 CAMBRIDGE DRIVE, Lexington, KY, 40504

My mom had stayed at Cambridge Place. It was a wonderful place. I was very happy with them, and I was extremely pleased with their services. They worked hard, and they took good care of my mom. My mom … (read more)

Rose Manor Health Care

3057 NORTH CLEVELAND ROAD, Lexington, KY, 40516

The people of Rose Manor are very friendly and helpful. They’re always there to talk to you or give you something you need. Their rooms are updated. Mom has her own bed, dresser, closet, and a TV.

Cardinal Hill Home Care

2050 VERSAILLES ROAD, Lexington, KY, 40504

My mother was there after a severe stroke, this place did wonders for my mother. At first she couldn’t even hold her head up and within weeks she could talk and started walking and she had been paraly … (read more)

Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center

3576 PIMLICO PARKWAY, Lexington, KY, 40517

My mother was transitioned here after a long stay at a hospital to begin rehab. Not being able to visit everyday we really thought was going to hard but we have had the great luxury of being in commu … (read more)

The Willows at Citation

1376 Silver Springs Drive, Lexington, KY, 40511

I was there for physical therapy. I got a blood clot from surgery. Three different nurses tried to give me wrong dosage of medicine. I caught it The food was terrible. I got a tray one night at 7:30 … (read more)

Northpoint/lexington Healthcare Center

1500 TRENT BOULEVARD, Lexington, KY, 40515

We went ahead and put mom in a nursing facility called Northpoint Lexington. The staff is fair. I think it is good. My mom is constantly complaining though. She complains about everything which is pro … (read more)

Richmond Place Rehabilitation And Health Center

2770 PALUMBO DRIVE, Lexington, KY, 40509

Richmond Place Rehabilitation And Health Center was a nice place. My sister’s room there was just like a hospital room with a hospital bed, she had a private bathroom. It was fine for what she needed. … (read more)

Mayfair Manor

3300 TATES CREEK ROAD, Lexington, KY, 40502

Everyday I would go in, things of my father’s were stolen. Brand new clothes, his food, electric razors, had sores. We got him to proper place, plus the new place took him off most of his medication i … (read more)

Homestead Nursing Center

1608 VERSAILLES ROAD, Lexington, KY, 40504

We admitted my Mom at Homestead in 2016. Everything was great until 2019 when a new Administrator took over. His name is Justin. From November 209-January 2020, Mom became sick with the Flu and Pneu … (read more)

Lexington Country Place

700 Mason Headley Road, Lexington, KY, 40504

A CNA Catlin was over heard talking down to a patient with obvious dementia.The place is extremely UNDERSTAFFED!They do not refill towels & they forget pat. ient meals.Ive never seen anything li … (read more)

The Willows At Hamburg

2531 Old Rosebud Road, Lexington, KY, 40509

The Willows at Hamburg is more of a nursing home. The residents have their own rooms to live in, but they’re not apartments. The staff was quite nice, welcoming, and explained things as they showed us … (read more)

Pine Meadows Health Care

1608 Hill Rise Drive, Lexington, KY, 40504

The Willows At Fritz Farm

2710 Man O War Blvd, Lexington, KY, 40515

Nursing Home Costs in Lexington, KY

The average monthly cost of a semiprivate room in a Lexington nursing home is $7,178. Private rooms are slightly more expensive at $8,958.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to data from the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, Lexington is one of the more affordable Kentucky cities for nursing home care, with a cost below the state average of $7,330 and far lower than the national average of $7,756. Fees in Bowling Green in the southern part of the state are much higher, at $8,273 per month. Heading west, fees in Elizabethtown and Owensboro are also above average at $7,604 and $7,787, respectively. Louisville is the most affordable city for nursing home care in Kentucky, with average fees of $7,148 per month.

$7178

Louisville

$7787

Owensboro

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Semiprivate ($7,178) and private ($8,958) nursing home care are the most expensive senior care options in Lexington due to the skilled services provided. In-home care services are much less costly at $4,385 per month. Assisted living, where seniors live in a residential setting and receive meals and help with activities of daily living, costs $4,400 per month. The most affordable option is adult day health care at $1,768 per month. This service is aimed at more mobile seniors who receive support in a group setting during daytime hours.

$4385

Adult day health care

$4400

Assisted living

$7178

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8958

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Lexington, KY

Free Resources for Seniors in Lexington, KY

Seniors living in Lexington may be able to take advantage of the following resources. These agencies and organizations can help seniors cover the cost of nursing home care, or allow them to remain in their own homes for longer while still receiving the support they need.

ResourceContact Service
Bluegrass Area Agency on Aging(859) 266-1116
The Bluegrass Area Agency on Aging supports seniors in Lexington and the surrounding area. It assists with both independent living and transitioning into long-term care, delivering services to help seniors make decisions about their future, referring them to other providers and managing programs such as senior centers, transportation, health promotion and congregate nutrition.
Meals on Wheels Lexington(859) 276-5391
Meals on Wheels Lexington is a nonprofit that delivers nutritious hot meals to seniors throughout the week. The program is open to homebound seniors who are unable to shop and cook for themselves. Volunteer drivers deliver the meals and provide valuable social contact and regular welfare checks for those who are signed up for the service.
SHIP Counseling(877) 293-7447SHIP counselors working with the local AAA can provide advice to seniors about Medicare and other health insurance options, including Medicare Advantage, Medigap and prescription drug plans. Counselors offer unbiased, one-on-one assistance, either by phone or in person.
ITN Bluegrass(859) 252-8665ITN Bluegrass offers transportation services for Lexington area seniors, helping them attend medical appointments, run errands or get to social events. Rides are provided by volunteer drivers and there’s a nominal fee for membership and to cover driver expenses. Ride scholarships are available for those on a low income.