Brookdale Bossier City

Reviews of Brookdale Bossier City

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Bossier City

August 27, 2013

By Merle H.

My son lives here in Bossier City and found Horizon Bay for us. We were initially looking for a place for my husband, but this facility made it possible that I can stay and live with him. We moved in about the 12th of June. We are pleased with this facility. We have three meals a day. Food is not restaurant-quality but we are surviving. What I like best about this facility is its location. It is just is outstanding for us. It is just nearer everything that we need. It is also close to where my son lives.

July 30, 2013

By Caring 1119

The staff at Horizon Bay were friendly. I liked their menu choices, the availability of food anytime and it could be brought to the room if they were not feeling well. They had a little exercise room but I did not see a lot of area where they could walk outside. It was not really a concern to us because our mom was not an outside person. I also liked that everybody looked clean.

October 25, 2012

By LibertyBiscar21

I became familiar with Horizon Bay in Bossier City when my mother and my aunt were looking for an assisted living facility for my grandmother to stay at when it became clear it was just too dangerous for her to live at home alone. Located on Beene Boulevard, Horizon Bay is convenient to Willis Knighton, a hospital in Bossier City, and is also a quick, easy drive via the 220 from Shreveport, which is where my mother and my sister live. The staff at Horizon Bay are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. They seemed to view potential problems as opportunities and always rose to the occasion no matter how busy they were. Everyone I met there was very friendly and very eager to help in any way they could.Horizon Bay always seemed very cheerful, they often had live performers playing music for the residents gathered in the lounge area and my Grandmother made a few friends while she was there. It seemed that most of the residents spent very little time in their apartments, every time I was there I saw lots of them drinking coffee, chatting, playing cards and enjoying other activities. There were also off-site activities for the residents who were able to go shopping and go to the casinos and such and Horizon Bay even provides transportation to and from these outings. I was absolutely sure my Grandmother would gripe about the food, and she did, but not nearly as much as I thought she would. The dietician and the rest of the kitchen staff seem to understand how important food is to older people and they really went out of their way to provide very personalized, delicious, healthy meals and snacks. They found out that my Grandmother liked corn bread and buttermilk and made sure she was offered a snack of the same every day. That extra effort really meant a lot. I'm grateful to all the folks at Horizon Bay for working so hard to make my Grandmother so comfortable and taking such good care of her, they really did a great job.

July 11, 2012

By beebop64

The staff at Horizon Bay was very nice, and the residents of the place seemed to happy in one of their gatherings that I observed. The woman that I interviewed at Horizon Bay herself was very pleased with the community but was a little skeptical about some of the cleaning offered by the place. She let me know that she often cleans the place herself. However, I was also told that they have game nights and various local entertainment acts that keep them busy throughout the week. The interior of the rooms at Horizon Bay were simple but seemed to be very sufficient for the resident there. Apparently, they also allow residents to take short walks around the facility which is helpful in maintaining the health of these individuals. Overall, I was very pleased with Horizon Bay and would recommend it to other individuals who are also planning on moving into assisted living facilities.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Bossier City

Questions about Brookdale Bossier City

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Initial foundational training, monthly in-services designed for dementia care.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Bossier City. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The overall population is approximately 70% women and 30% men. The average age is around 85. Beanbag Baseball and Bingo

What programs or activities does Brookdale Bossier City offer to enrich residents' well-being?

BeFit, musical programs, trivia, card games and board games, puzzles, Fashion shows, Bible Study, Brainfit

What places are near Brookdale Bossier City or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Since there is a busy street around our campus, it would difficult to walk anywhere. However, it is a easy drive to target, best buy, many restaurants, nail salons and massage spas

What transportation services does Brookdale Bossier City offer to assisted living residents?

We have a bus which takes residents shopping, to doctor visits, out to eat, to movies, plays, etc.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Bossier City exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef Cedric has been with us for over 10 years. His cooking is exceptional and he aims to please. A variety of home style foods, rich desserts, and healthy entrees

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Bossier City offer to assisted living residents?

Doors are secured except for the front door because there is someone at the front desk until 8:00PM. Staff makes rounds continuously

How does Brookdale Bossier City keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Phone, emails, faxes and mail outs.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Bossier City during daytime and nighttime hours?

Depending on the census, however, there is always two care partners in AL and two in MC

If Brookdale Bossier City accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept dogs or cats. There is a walking path around the building and a vacant piece of property in back of the building

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

There are initial foundation courses and then monthly classes on various topics. There is also OSHA in-services and safety in-services

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Staffers are scheduled based on the needs of the residents. We always have at least 2 associates on campus at all times.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Bossier City provide to protect residents who wander?

Residents in AL come and go as they please. There is not a locked unit except for MC. However, residents are monitored by staff daily.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Bossier City offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our Memory Care has official programming 7 days a week with B-fit, bingo, trivia, beanbag baseball, pet therapy, outings, musical programs

Our Heath and Wellness Director and Health and Wellness Coordinator perform an assessment before move in. Assessments are also done when a noticeable change in condition occurs and at least quarterly.

What techniques does Brookdale Bossier City use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Encouragement, hand over hand, and hand under hand

How does Brookdale Bossier City keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Families review the residents care plan, our nurses communicate in person, by phone, and by Email depending upon what the family member wants.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Bossier City. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

There are many residential neighborhoods around us, across the street are businesses and restaurants

Is Brookdale Bossier City affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not affiliated with a hospital, however, we are just a few blocks from a major hospital

Photos of Brookdale Bossier City

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Bossier City

About Brookdale Bossier City

Brookdale Bossier City provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Brookdale Living's Bossier City, LA community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional independent and assisted living services, amenities, and opportunities we offer. And, the residents at Brookdale Bossier City can rest assured that as their needs change, we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Optimum Life&reg and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches the lives of the residents of this independent and assisted living community, their families, and associates alike. Optimum Life&reg is a journey of self-discovery including services, features, and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life&reg, the mission of Horizon Bay - Bossier City is to encourage our independent and assisted living residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program filling the monthly calendar at Brookdale Living's Bossier City, LA community with themed experiences, special events, and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Bossier City