Sunabella at Savannah

Reviews of Sunabella at Savannah

Memory Care Reviews for Sunabella at Savannah

October 28, 2013

By BlueJacket

My dad was placed in this facility last year. Upon arrival he was in moderate -good condition. The facility was clean, well-run, residents well cared for and the food was nutritious and plentiful. After he was there six months, the director left. The new management is inexperienced and hard to get in contact with. He lost an extraordinary amount of weight. His room was filthy, and often times he was unkempt. Plenty of times I arrived to visit with no staff in sight and residents needing to toilet. When questioned, I was often told it was an "off" day. I also asked about the extreme weight loss and heard every excuse from "it's just the disease" to "he's walking it off" (highly unlikely). Every time I visited him, he was seated at a table (usually alone) in the dining hall with no interaction or stimulation. I truly believe the kept him continually drugged so he would be less to deal with .....and he wasn't the only one. I saw several residents I believe were basically being "warehoused" for lack of a better word. I watched my dads condition plummet. It wasn't until I saw that his main meal consisted of less than what a 10 yr summer camp child would eat, that I realized why he had such a great weight loss as well as the other residents. When I proceeded to move him to another (better) facility, I was met with hostility from the staff, including a lack of cooperation in obtaining his personal records, and a proper and agreeable termination of his contract. After I did get him moved a resident "eloped" (obviously because there's not enough staff to pay attention to them and make sure doors are locked) and was found in the marsh behind the facility hours later by the police department. Luckily they found him in time. It was no surprise to me and all I could think was that could've been my dad. I would certainly search other facilities in the area before I would settle for this one.

August 13, 2012

By sue5

My husband was at Savannah Cottages for ten months and I was very happy with the community and its caregivers. I became a part of the family, because I spent so much time there, was even volunteer of the year. Even though I brought my husband home to care for him, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

January 03, 2012

By virtual reader

I visited this facility and noticed how beautiful the outdoor setting was. There was ample parking for staff and visitors. When I walked into the facility I noticed how friendly the staff were. I was given a tour and noticed the facility offers private and semi private rooms. Each room has ample space with their own bath. There is a large library, many activities offered and Savannah Cottage offers transportation to any resident that would like to be driven shopping, to their doctor's appointments, etc. There is a large dinning room and the facility offers 3 meals. There are walkways outside for residents and visitors to stroll around and enjoy the fresh air and Savannah Cottage is pet friendly.

November 18, 2011

By healthcareconsultant

I visited Savannah Cottages. In general I thought that Savannah Cottages was a great place. The grounds of the facility are well manicured. The common areas of the facility are nice; it gives you a feeling of home. During holidays the facility is decorated very festive. The residents' rooms are kept cleaned and odor free. The residents are always encouraged to bring items that will add a personal touch to their rooms. The staff and management of the facility are great. I am especially impressed with the Activities Director. She makes sure that she engages with the residence. She is very creative when it comes to activities. I think the residents get great care there. While I was there, I noticed that the residence was clean and they seemed very comfortable in their surroundings. I would recommend it to family members that is looking for a comfortable and home like environment to place their love one.
See all Memory Care reviews (8) See fewer reviews

Questions about Sunabella at Savannah

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Specialized training program.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

24/7 staff. Nurse on-site.

Costs for Sunabella at Savannah

• Pets: No Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: ALC000606

About Sunabella at Savannah

Compassionate Memory Care in Georgia’s Friendliest City

Sunabella at Savannah in historic Savannah provides a supportive home for people with memory disorders who need a caring, safe and comforting environment. We create an atmosphere of family living and provide each of our residents with dignified and compassionate individualized care. Our experienced caregivers help residents and their families cope with memory loss and related issues.

Our goal is to support the peace of mind and well-being of our residents and their families.

early stages of Alzheimer’s or dementia, the Activity Director may conduct outings, exercise therapy, cognitive and memory games. These and similar activities help residents maintain interaction with their community, enhance their memory skills, and increase their physical abilities. Individuals in later stages of memory disorders may participate in touch therapy and aromatherapy to increase their sensory abilities and help them recall special memories.

Sunabella at Savannah is a community that meets the unique needs of individuals with Alzheimer’s, dementia and other memory disorders. By creating a simpler world that moves at a slower, more structured pace, we minimize confusion and anxiety. Our community is designed to enhance residents’ social, cognitive, physical and emotional abilities through social interaction with others at the same stage of progression and appropriate environmental features. We provide care through all stages of memory disorders.

Sunabella at Savannah designs custom programs with the needs of each individual resident in mind. For those in the

At Sunabella at Savannah, you’ll feel the difference that regional ownership and management make in creating a warm, family-focused environment, especially suited for memory care. Sunabella at Savannah is owned and managed by Mainstay Senior Living, not by a corporation or senior care conglomerate. Our team members get to know each resident and their family members personally, which allows them to care for the entire family’s needs.

Map of Sunabella at Savannah