10 Assisted Living Facilities near Charleston, WV
Also serving communities of Dunbar.
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the Charleston area, with 7 in Charleston and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Charleston is $4,295 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,346. Cheaper nearby regions include Scott Depot with an average starting cost of $3,995.
To help you with your search, browse the 31 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Charleston. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Charleston 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Scott Depot with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Charleston, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in Charleston, WV
Promotion ends in 8 days!
Spring Promotion: Moving Made Easy. For new residents: $500 Off the Community Fee, 1/2 Off First ... (more)
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Charleston, WV
Other Options in Charleston, WV
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Charleston
Review of Kanawha Place
Kanawha Place was clean and airy. The staff member was very friendly and interested in knowing what my aunt liked and the things she was into. The activity room looked organized and clean. They sho... Read more
Review of Kanawha Place
I was at Kanawha Place for two months and I had no complaints about them. The rooms were very nice, and the place was beautiful, but the staffing was a little bit short. The place had nice furnishi... Read more
Review of Brookdale Charleston Gardens
Best facility I have visited in Charleston has a home like atmosphere, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The meals are great lots of choices Read more
Assisted Living near Kanawha County, WV
More Options Near Charleston, WV
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Charleston West
The city of Charleston is the capital of West Virginia and also the most populous city in the state with 49,736 residents. Residents aged 55 and older make up about 32 percent of this vast city, raising the median age in town to 41 to 43 years old when compared to the national median age of 37.9. Charleston accommodates senior residents with seven local assisted living facilities for seniors to choose from. There are eight more nearby as well.
These facilities can be licensed in one of two ways: assisted living residence or residential care community. The Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR), Office of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification (OHFLAC) monitors and regulates each community to ensure seniors receive proper care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Charleston West
- Seniors living in Charleston have a lower cost of living that ranks an 84 compared to the 100-point national average. These lower expenses benefit elderly residents on a low-income budget, where most can save significantly on grocery, transportation, goods and services, housing and health care costs.
- Seniors looking to move to Charleston should consider the high crime rates that rank the city as the 19th most dangerous city in the nation. Both violent and property crime rates are much higher than average, which may concern some seniors and their loved ones.
- Local seniors experience fewer issues with their respiratory illnesses in Charleston, where the air quality is considered 31 percent better than the national average. This experience is similar for severe allergy sufferers who can enjoy an 81 percent better pollution index when compared to cities nationwide.
- Moderate summer temperatures average between 56 degrees Fahrenheit to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, making it easier for seniors to spend time enjoying the great outdoors. However, winter temperatures average between 27 degrees Fahrenheit to 52 degrees, which might make it difficult for seniors with conditions that are agitated by cold weather.
- Locals in Charleston have access to transportation through the Kanawha Valley Regional Transportation Authority (KRT). Fares for seniors riding the KRT are discounted with a valid half-fare card or Medicare Card.
- Charleston has an array of community resources for seniors, including Kanawha Valley Senior Services, an organization that assists seniors with Medicaid plan assistance, transportation services, nutrition and recreation programs.
Paying for Assisted Living in Charleston West
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in West Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Charleston start around $4,295 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Charleston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Charleston West
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Charleston West
Charleston West and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Charleston West, please visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Charleston West
Charleston West-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in West Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page for more information about these laws.