6 Assisted Living Facilities in Willmar, MN
The average cost of assisted living in Willmar is $3,855 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Willmar. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Willmar 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Litchfield with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Willmar, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Willmar, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Willmar
Willmar is a cozy bedroom community of suburban homes and quiet, tree-lined streets set among the small lakes and open country 85 miles west of Minneapolis. In a town of almost 20,000 people, just 15% percent of Willmar's residents are seniors aged 65 and over. No fewer than 19 assisted living facilities operate within the Willmar city limits.
These facilities, like all of the other residential care communities in the state, are regularly inspected and licensed through the Minnesota Department of Health Facility Certification, Regulation and Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Willmar
- The weather in Willmar is warm and variable in the summer, but it can get very cold in the winter. Summertime highs here average 82 degrees, while winter lows average -1 degree Fahrenheit. The 28 inches of rain falling on Willmar each year tend to raise allergens like pollen in the surrounding countryside, which can cause issues for seniors with asthma and similar allergen-based illnesses.
- The cost of living in Willmar is well under the national average. For all categories of common expenses combined, Willmar seniors pay 14% less than the national average, while healthcare is roughly 12.5% less expensive in town.
- Crime rates in Willmar are about 15% lower than the national average. Violent crime is less common in Willmar than the typical rate nationwide, while property crimes are somewhat more common. Seniors in Willmar are thus less likely than seniors nationwide to face violent crime.
- Central Community Transit (CCT Bus) provides much of the public transportation in Willmar and the surrounding areas. Seniors can ride CCT Bus from point to point with a scheduled appointment, which provides a 30-minute window for pickup. Vehicles operated by the service are disabled-ride equipped, and drivers are trained to assist seniors with limited mobility.
- The Willmar area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carris Health - Rice Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Willmar has an array of community resources for seniors, including Home and Community-Based Services, an organization that helps assess seniors' needs and direct them and their caregivers toward community health and education resources, as well as more than three senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Willmar
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Willmar start around $3,855 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Willmar and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Willmar
Seniors in Willmar who need help paying some or all of the costs associated with assisted living may be able to get monthly aid through Minnesota's Supplemental Security Income (SSI), provided they meet the program's income and asset guidelines.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Willmar
Willmar and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Willmar, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Willmar
Willmar-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Willmar, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Willmar
Review of Brookdale Willmar
Brookdale Willmar was wonderful. What stood out was the friendliness of their staff and the way they treated their residents. They keep the people engaged in activities. I felt a lot of kindness th... Read more
Review of Vista Prairie at Copperleaf
They were very friendly at Vista Prairie at Copperleaf. One of the residents was real gracious to let us in and see the kind of space there was. One of my favorites parts was going past the dining ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Willmar
Brookdale Willmar was OK but way too expensive. The room we saw was a little small. The staff who toured us was good. The food wasn't great. Read more