4 Assisted Living Facilities in Park Rapids, MN
Also serving communities of Menahga.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Park Rapids. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Park Rapids 1.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Walker with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Park Rapids, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Park Rapids
Park Rapids, Minnesota, is located in the northern part of the state, on the edge of Itasca State Park, at the mouth of the Mississippi River. This is a lovely place to observe wildlife or take a quiet walk, with easy-to-navigate trails perfect for seniors, who make up 24% of Park Rapids' population of 4,000.
Seniors in Park Rapids who need accommodations in one of the four assisted living facilities in the town will find staff on hand to assist with daily living tasks and light medical care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Park Rapids
- Crime rates in the United States are rated from 1 to 100, the most dangerous. In Park Rapids, violent crime is 18 compared to the national average of 23, and the city's property crime rate, which includes theft, is a startling 90, compared to the average of 35.4 in the rest of the country. Seniors are urged to be careful when out in the community.
- Summers in Park Rapids are mild, with July highs hovering in the mid-80s. Winters can be very cold, however, with January lows that drop below zero and lots of deep snowstorms. For seniors sensitive to colder temperatures, the weather in Park Rapids may be unpleasant.
- The Park Rapids area is home to world-class medical facilities, including CHI St. Josephs's Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Unlike many other states, Minnesota levies a state income tax on retirement pensions and Social Security income. There are a couple of exceptions, however. Military pensions are not subject to state income tax, and if a senior's entire income is from Social Security, they are also tax-exempt. Park Rapids seniors may wish to consider this when planning their assisted living budget.
- Cost of living calculations are based on a national average of 100. The overall cost of living in Park Rapids is about 10 points lower than this average, with healthcare costs averaging 85, lower than the national average. This may be important for those who are in assisted living due to medical conditions.
- Park Rapids residents are serviced by the Hubbard County Public Transportation system. Handicapped transportation services are available, although there is no senior pricing.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Park Rapids
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Park Rapids start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Park Rapids and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Park Rapids
For those receiving Medicaid in Minnesota, there is an income-based Elderly Waiver to help pay for assisted living fees. While this is an income-based program, those who are medically needy but who have higher incomes that the cap allows may also be eligible.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Park Rapids
Park Rapids and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Park Rapids, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Park Rapids
Park Rapids-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Park Rapids
Review of Heritage Manor
This facility is staffed by many "nursing assistants " who are apparently "trained"on the job.They pal around in groups and talk to each other while working with patients. I have personally witnes... Read more