9 Assisted Living Facilities in Bemidji, MN
Also serving communities of Blackduck, Kelliher.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bemidji. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bemidji 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Walker with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bemidji, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Bemidji, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bemidji
Bemidji, which is a small city in the northwestern region of Minnesota, is known for its public displays of art and thriving Native American community. It serves as the central hub of the Red Lake Indian Reservation, White Earth Indian Reservation and the Leech Lake Indian Reservation, and there are numerous cultural events throughout the year to give residents and visitors alike the opportunity to learn more about the city’s earliest inhabitants. Bemidji is home to eight assisted living facilities, all of which are required to register annually with the Department of Health and provide both supportive and health-related services, such as bathing, grooming and medication reminders, for one or more residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bemidji
- Bemidji ranks relatively low on Sperling’s Comfort Index, rating 30 out of 100, due to extreme temperatures, which may be a consideration for seniors who enjoy being outdoors. While summers are comfortable with highs reaching the upper-70s, winters are cold and snowy. The average January low is -3 degrees Fahrenheit, and the city sees roughly 45 inches of snow annually, which is nearly 20 inches more than the national average.
- The cost of living in Bemidji is nearly 10 percent below the national average, making this an affordable place for seniors on a budget. While this is primarily due to the affordable cost of housing, seniors can expect to spend about 4 percent less on groceries, 2 percent less on health care and 3 percent less on transportation expenses.
- Bemidji has a relatively high crime rate, coming in 212 percent higher than the state’s overall crime rate and 161 percent higher than the nation’s crime rate. The rate of violent crime is 102 percent higher than Minnesota’s average and 27 percent higher than the national average, and the property crime rate is 225 percent higher than the state average and 182 percent higher than the U.S. average.
- Public transportation is provided to Bemidji residents courtesy of Paul Bunyan Transit, which has a service area in the city which is a 10-mile radius of City Hall. The company is also a ticket agent for Jefferson Lines buses, which go to Minneapolis and Fargo daily. Seniors age 60 and over can purchase a bus pass for a deeply discounted rate.
- The Bemidji area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sanford Bemidji, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Bemidji has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, an organization that provides support groups, companion care, volunteer opportunities and other services for area seniors, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bemidji
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Bemidji start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bemidji and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bemidji
Bemidji seniors may be eligible to receive financial assistance for assisted living through one of several Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver programs to pay for their care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bemidji
Bemidji and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bemidji, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bemidji
Bemidji-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bemidji
Review of Sanford Health WindSong
I visited the Sanford Health WindSong. First, I like the location, I like where it is in town. Secondly, the facility in terms of how it was designed, the rooms and everything you have a lot of opt... Read more
Review of Tamarack Court
Tamarack Court's hallways looked very clean. They had trash cans and nice art on the walls. It looked OK to me, and they were very helpful. The facility itself was pretty nice. The staff was more t... Read more