3 Assisted Living Facilities in Walker, MN
Also serving communities of Hackensack.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Walker. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Walker 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Walker, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Walker
Walker, Minnesota, located on the shores of Leech Lake about 200 miles north of Minneapolis, has a thriving senior community that makes up 30.1% of its total population of 941. Leech Lake is the third largest lake in Minnesota, where seniors and residents can spend hours fishing for walleye, pike or perch. Walker has three assisted living facilities available to support those seniors who may need help with the activities of daily living.
In Walker, and throughout Minnesota, assisted living facilities must register annually with the Department of Health as either a Class A or Class F Home Care Agency. The Department of Human Services licenses facilities operating as adult foster homes.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Walker
- The state of Minnesota is not tax-friendly toward retirees, which could be a concern to Walker seniors with tight assisted living budgets. The state partially taxes Social Security benefits and fully taxes both pensions and retirement savings account income.
- Walker’s low crime rates may give seniors peace of mind. Walker has a violent crime rate of 7.2 and a property crime rate of 22.1, both significantly lower than the U.S. averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- The Walker area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Park Rapids.
- Seniors 60 and over who have no transportation available to them can get reduced-fee rides from the Senior Transportation Program. Rides are available for medical appointments, shopping or other errands. To qualify, seniors need to be residents of Cass County where Walker is located, be able to prove that they have no other available transportation and must register for the program. If seniors need to travel outside of the service area, their rides must be authorized.
- The cost of living in Walker is 87.3, slightly lower than the Minnesota average of 106.3 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay less for healthcare, housing and transportation than in other areas of the state or nation, which might make the city ideal for seniors who are looking for an affordable place to retire.
- Summers are cool in Walker with temperatures of 79 degrees, which might make the city an ideal location for seniors who dislike muggy, humid weather.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Walker
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Walker start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Walker and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Walker
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Walker
Walker and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Walker, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Walker
Walker-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Walker
Review of Edgewood May Creek
Edgewood May Creek is good. They play Yahtzee and they take them places. They serve three meals a day. They help Mom bathe. The staff is really good with her. Read more