2 Assisted Living Facilities in Spencer, IA
Also serving communities of Hartley.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Spencer, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Spencer, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Spencer
Spencer is located at the junction of the Little Sioux and Ocheyedan Rivers in Iowa. The abundance of outdoor attractions makes it an ideal location for nature-loving seniors. For those seniors who need help with the tasks of daily living, Spencer's two assisted living facilities may provide a great solution. In Iowa, these facilities are officially named as Assisted Living Programs and are licensed by the Health Facilities Division of the Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Spencer
- Senior residents of Spencer City enjoy reasonable savings with Iowa’s income tax policy. Social Security income is exempted from taxes, while pension income and retirement account withdrawals are partially taxed.
- The Spencer City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Spencer Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Spencer is one of the more affordable locations within Iowa, with an overall cost of living index of 85, lower than the state’s 90. While housing, groceries and transportation fall below the national index of 100, healthcare has a higher index at 117, which may impact seniors with chronic health conditions.
- The city’s average low temperature during winter months is listed at 7 degrees, way below the national average of 23 degrees. This may be uncomfortable for seniors with little tolerance for freezing weather. Summer months are generally more tolerable with an average high temperature of 84 degrees, just 4 degrees above the comfort range of 70 to 80 degrees.
- The Regional Transit Authority operates RIDES, a non-profit organization that provides general transportation and special medical trips to residents of Spencer City, the rest of Clay and nearby Iowa counties. RIDES vehicles are wheelchair-friendly, and drivers provide necessary passenger assistance. These amenities ensure riding convenience for seniors.
- Residents of Spencer City enjoy a relatively safer location within the Spencer Metro area. The property crime rate in the city is 34, lower than the Spencer Metro area’s index of 40 and the national index of 38. The city also registers a lower violent crime rate of 28, lower than the Spencer Metro area’s index of 41 and the national index of 31.
Paying for Assisted Living in Spencer
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Spencer start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Spencer and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Spencer
The Medicaid Home and Community Based Services Elderly Waiver provides services to eligible Spencer City seniors in community-based settings. These services are packaged into individualized comprehensive plans and may include nutritional counseling, housekeeping and other services determined by an interdisciplinary team. This waiver program is administered throughout the state by the Department of Human Services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Spencer
Spencer and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Spencer, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Spencer
Spencer-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.