3 Assisted Living Facilities in Carroll, IA
Also serving communities of Manning, Manning, Denison.
The average cost of assisted living in Carroll is $3,995 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,395.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Carroll, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carroll
When Nikita Khrushchev visited the United States in 1959, one of the places he went to observe American farming methods was the Garst farm in the then-tiny town of Carroll. Carroll, Iowa, is not a big city even today, but it does have room for three licensed assisted living communities within its borders. These properties are regulated by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals for health, safety and hygiene standards. The Department also sets standards for staff training and basic care of residents, which includes emergency response and help with most normal activities of daily living (ADLs). Typical ADLs staff can help with include bathing, dressing, personal care and taking some medications. Services offered vary from one community to another, but some also offer complementary transportation offsite for medical office visits and other chores.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carroll
Carroll's weather is similar to other towns in this part of Iowa. Cold and dry winters can see December lows of 10 degrees Fahrenheit, while the very mild summers rarely rise above 84 degrees in July and August. Carroll gets 43 inches of rain a year, mostly in spring and summer, which can send up a lot of pollen and cause issues for seniors with allergies and asthma.
- The aggregate cost of living in Carroll is about 7 percent lower than the national average, though that's mostly due to very affordable housing in the area. Seniors who buy groceries for themselves can expect to pay 3 percent more, on average, than the nationwide median, while health care can cost 15 percent more.
- Iowa charges between 0.36 and 8.98 percent income tax on most of the revenue earned from work. Seniors who get SSI and/or many forms of retirement income may be exempt, though Iowa still charges between a 7 and 8 percent tax on sales.
- Crime is low in Carroll. Seniors here enjoy an environment where the rate of robbery is less than one-third the national median, while property crime rates are similarly low.
- Aging citizens who need a ride can get around Carroll on Western Iowa Transit (WIT), which operates 60 buses on pre-scheduled trips in the area. Adults over age 60 can take advantage of the senior discount, and almost all the vehicles in the fleet are disabled-ride equipped.
- The Carroll area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Anthony Regional Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carroll
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Carroll start around $3,995 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carroll and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carroll
The Iowa Medicaid HCBS Elderly Waiver is a managed care plan provided by the state to help low-income seniors pay for some of the monthly costs associated with assisted living in Iowa.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carroll
Carroll and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carroll, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carroll
Carroll-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.