2 Assisted Living Facilities in Ottawa, IL
Also serving communities of Dwight.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Ottawa. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Ottawa 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ottawa, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ottawa
The city of Ottawa is located in western Illinois and is home to more than 100 acres of community parkland where residents can enjoy biking and hiking trails, picnics and fishing. The city has nearly 20,000 residents, with adults age 65 and over making up nearly 17% of the population. There are two assisted living facilities in this city to serve seniors who need assistance with the activities of daily living.
The state of Illinois licenses two types of assisted living facilities, including assisted living residences, which are licensed by the Department on Aging, and personal care homes, which are licensed by the Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ottawa
- Ottawa has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Western Illinois Area Agency on Aging, an organization that supports local seniors by providing advocacy programs, legal advice and some care services, as well as one senior center.
- Ottawa's summers are warm and humid and last from mid-May until late-September. Winters are very cold and windy and generally last from December 1 to March 3. Temperatures throughout the year range between 18 and 84 degrees. The city's climate may be well-suited to seniors who enjoy experiencing four distinct seasons.
- The cost of living in Ottawa is about 15% lower than the Illinois and U.S. average, which may let budget-conscious seniors put more money toward assisted living expenses. Healthcare expenses are about 8% higher than the national average, however, which may be a concern for some seniors.
- While property crime in Ottawa is just below the nationwide median, the city's violent crime rate is significantly below average, which may appeal to seniors looking for a safe community to spend their retirement years. On a 100-point scale, the city's property crime rate is 33.8 and the violent crime rate is 10.4. This is compared to the national averages of 35.4 and 22.7.
- In Ottawa, seniors do not pay state income tax on any type of retirement income, which may be good for seniors with tight assisted living budgets. However, Illinois has some of the highest property and sales taxes in the nation, which may be a consideration for some.
- The Ottawa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including OSF Saint Elizabeth Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ottawa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Ottawa start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ottawa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ottawa
Low-income seniors in Ottawa may have assisted living services covered through two Medicaid waiver programs, including the Supportive Living Program and the Managed Long-Term Services and Supports program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ottawa
Ottawa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ottawa, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ottawa
Ottawa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ottawa
Review of Pleasant View
My mom is at Pleasant View. It seems to be very good. The staff seems to be great. They're very caring and very thorough. The rooms are very well kept, clean, and updated. Dining is very good. They... Read more