23 Assisted Living Facilities near Kankakee, IL
Also serving communities of Herscher.
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kankakee area, with 2 in Kankakee and 21 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kankakee is $3,875 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Bourbonnais with an average starting cost of $3,834.
To help you with your search, browse the 101 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kankakee. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kankakee 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kankakee, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kankakee, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kankakee
Kankakee, Illinois, is home to the Kankakee Valley Park District, a collection of 37 parks that amount to around 600 acres of green space. With around 14 percent of the city's residents aged 65 and over, there's may be a need for assisted living communities in the area. There are two of these facilities in the Kankakee city limits and over 20 in nearby communities such as New Lenox and Chicago Heights.
In Kankakee and in all of Illinois, these facilities are regulated by The Division of Assisted Living and exist to support local seniors with things such as medication management and personal care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kankakee
- The Kankakee area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Presence St. Mary's Hospital and Riverside Heart & Vascular Institute, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Kankakee has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Kanakee County Senior Citizens Inc., an organization that helps seniors stay connected with each other and take part in various activities, as well as three other senior centers.
- Kankakee may present an ideal location for seniors looking for an assisted living facility on a tight budget. The cost of living in the city is around 24 percent less expensive than the national average. Although, the price of healthcare is closer to the national average at only four percent cheaper. This could be something to consider for seniors with health conditions.
- If crime is a concern, Kankakee might not be a desirable location. On a scale of one to 100, with one being the lowest and 100 being the highest crime rates, violent crime in Kankakee is rated 39.9 and property crime is rated 58.3. When compared to the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively, it would suggest that Kankakee has rather high crime rates.
- In Kankakee, like the rest of Illinois, the state government doesn't tax the federal portion of Social Security as well as retirement accounts, like IRAs and 401Ks.
- The weather in the Kankakee area is generally mild and sits in line with the national averages. The city's average annual rainfall is the same as the national average of 39 inches, and, on average, there are 24 inches of snow annually, two less than the national average of 26.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kankakee
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Kankakee start around $3,875 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kankakee and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kankakee
Residents of Kankakee, Illinois, can apply for financial support from the state's Medicaid program to help subsidize the cost of their place in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kankakee
Kankakee and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kankakee, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Kankakee Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kankakee
Kankakee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Kankakee, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kankakee
Review of Riverside Senior Life Communities
We chose Riverside Senior Life at Kankakee because it was bright and they check on the residents every 2 hours. It was definitely the best one we looked at. It was very clean and well kept up. Read more
Review of Riverside Senior Life Communities
Riverside Senior Life at Kankakee is a very nice place. The people are very nice. I have not met a crabby person here. The meals and the dining area are very good. The room is okay. We have exercis... Read more
Review of Presence Heritage Lodge Assisted Living - Kankakee
I've been here for three years now. We're in individual apartments, the rooms are good-sized. We don't have any staff, there's no recreation or anything like that, it's just a place to live. I can ... Read more