2 Assisted Living Facilities in Key West, FL
The average cost of assisted living in Key West is $2,400 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Key West. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Key West 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Key West, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Key West, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Key West
Key West is the subtropical island paradise city at the tip of Florida's resort-strewn islands. The original Margaritaville, Key West is a city of sandy beaches and bamboo refreshment stands with a permanent population of 24,500 people, 15.5% percent of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. Seniors who've picked Key West as their home have their choice of 10 assisted living facilities on the island.
Seniors in Key West's assisted living communities get comfortable apartment-style living, along with professionally prepared meals and help with daily activities such as laundry and transportation. These facilities, like others of their kind across Florida, are regulated by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Key West
- The climate in Key West is pure island paradise, with the occasional hurricane. Summer highs on the island average 89 degrees, while the nearly invisible winters dip to just 64 in the coldest months. Seniors in Key West have to put up with nearly 40 inches of rain a year, often light drizzles that show up year-round.
- The cost of living in Key West is high by national standards. Overall, seniors in Key West can expect to pay up to 71% more for common personal expenses than people on the mainland do. Healthcare is somewhat more affordable, though costs are still 52% above the national average in Key West.
Crime rates in Key West stay close to the national average across all crime categories combined. Local and national crime rates are within 5% of each other overall, though seniors are significantly safer from violent crime, which is just half the national rate here.
- Public transportation in Key West is in the hands of the City of Key West Department of Transportation, which runs routes as far up the chain as Marathon. Seniors aged 60 and over in Key West can ride most routes for free with valid ID.
- The Key West area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lower Keys Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Key West has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Monroe County Salvation Army, an organization that offers emergency utility assistance, signups for low-income home energy programs and various nutritional and personal-care services, as well as two senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Key West
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Key West start around $2,400 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Key West and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Key West
Seniors in Key West who need help paying for assisted living may qualify for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which provides a monthly stipend.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Key West
Key West and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Key West, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Key West
Key West-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Key West, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Key West
Review of Bayshore Manor
Before a musician friend arrived to visit me in Key West, she asked if there was a place where she could entertain with her fiddle and I suggested Bayshore Manor, the assisted living facility here.... Read more