179 Assisted Living Facilities near Lake Balboa, CA
There are 179 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lake Balboa area, with 3 in Lake Balboa and 176 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 399 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lake Balboa. Better rated regions include Reseda with an average rating of 3.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lake Balboa, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Lake Balboa, CA
176 Assisted Living Facilities near Lake Balboa, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
The site of Van Nuys' famous Japanese Garden, the city of Lake Balboa was only incorporated as one of the San Fernando Valley's newest cities in 2006. Home to nearly 30,000 people, just 9% of Lake Balboa's residents are seniors aged 65 and over. No fewer than 50 assisted living communities operate in the greater San Fernando Valley, which includes towns surrounding Lake Balboa such as Encino and North Hills. Lake Balboa's assisted living facilities, like similar residential care facilities throughout the state, are inspected, licensed and regulated by the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
- The weather in Lake Balboa is typically Southern Californian. Long, dry summers see average highs of 88 degrees, while the mild winters get overnight lows of 41. Lake Balboa gets around 17 inches of rain a year, though irregular droughts can send dust over the town and aggravate some seniors' asthma or COPD.
- The cost of living in Lake Balboa is high by both state and national standards. Seniors in Lake Balboa pay over double the average cost for housing, though some costs are well below these rates. Healthcare, for example, costs 15% less in Lake Balboa than the typical cost nationwide.
- Crime rates in Lake Balboa are low by national standards. Across all categories of crime, rates here are roughly two-thirds the average crime rate for large cities in America.
- Public transportation in Lake Balboa is provided by the Orange Line of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro). Metro buses and trains are all equipped for riders with impaired mobility, and both seniors and riders with disabilities qualify for a discount with a valid transit ID. Dial-a-ride and disabled ride services are available throughout Los Angeles County, often on a same-day basis if booked early enough.
- The Lake Balboa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Encino Hospital Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Los Angeles County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Lake Balboa start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lake Balboa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
Seniors in Lake Balboa who need help paying some or all of the cost of assisted living may be eligible for the state Medicaid program's Assisted Living Waiver Program (ALWP).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lake Balboa
Lake Balboa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lake Balboa, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lake Balboa
Lake Balboa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.