The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Lake Balboa, CA for 2023
There are 198 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lake Balboa area, with 3 in Lake Balboa and 195 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 444 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lake Balboa. Better rated regions include Reseda with an average rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lake Balboa, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Lake Balboa, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
Lake Balboa is located in the San Fernando Valley area in Los Angeles, where more than 11% of the city's 3.9 million residents are aged 65 or older. Some seniors living in the area require round-the-clock assistance and personal care, and those who do can choose from 179 assisted living facilities in Lake Balboa and the surrounding areas. In California, these facilities are officially known as residential care facilities and are regulated by the California Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
- Los Angeles, including Lake Balboa, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Lake Balboa and the Los Angeles area have the worst air quality in the country. Seniors with respiratory and cardiovascular illnesses may find that breathing air with high levels of pollution has a negative effect on their symptoms.
- The Lake Balboa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Valley Presbyterian Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The violent crime rate in the Lake Balboa area is considerably higher than the state average. The city has an average of 7.7 violent crimes per 1,000 residents each year, while the state's average is only 4.49 per 1,000 residents. It's important that seniors choose a residential care facility that takes care to protect the safety and security of its residents.
- Seniors on a tight budget might find the Lake Balboa area expensive. The city's cost of living is 95% higher than the national average, primarily due to the high cost of housing and transportation in the area.
- Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors can do so year-round while living in Lake Balboa, as the climate is fairly consistent. Lake Balboa doesn't get any snowfall during the year and only sees an average of 16 inches of rain each year.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Lake Balboa start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lake Balboa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lake Balboa
Elderly people who receive assisted living in Lake Balboa may be eligible to receive financial help with the cost of care from MediCal, the state's Medicaid system. MediCal's Assisted Living Waiver exists to help low-income Californians pay for the cost of care in residential care facilities.
While MediCal doesn't cover the cost of room and board, the State Supplemental Payment, which is provided to seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income, can help to cover those costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lake Balboa
Lake Balboa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lake Balboa, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lake Balboa
Lake Balboa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.