How do I cancel Medicare Part B?

Alex bomareto asked...

I turn 65 this year. I got my little card in the mail. I sent it back marked "No Part B". They started taking money out of my check anyway. I called them and told them that I did not want Medicare Part B. They said they can't do anything over the phone to do it on the internet. I looked all over the internet society and I cannot find a place to cancel Part B. Can you help me please?

Medicare makes it difficult to cancel, or withdraw from, Medicare Part B, and part of this intentional difficulty is not having a simple online form for it through the Medicare.gov Web site. Because Medicare Part B provides important coverage for most people 65 and older, and because there's a penalty if someone cancels Medicare but then later wants to enroll again, Medicare enrolls everyone automatically at age 65 and wants to make sure no one cancels their coverage without fully understanding the consequences.

So, in order to cancel your Medicare Part B coverage, you have to fill out a form (CMS-1763) with the Social Security Administration, which handles initial Medicare enrollment. In order to do so, you must call your local Social Security office and speak on the phone with a Social Security adviser who can help you fill out this form. Or, you can make an appointment to see a Social Security adviser in person, at your local Social Security office. Once you have filled out the form and submitted it to Social Security, they will send you a letter explaining the consequences of withdrawing from Medicare Part B. Your withdrawal will be effective at the end of the month when you file your request form. To learn more about this process, you can visit the Social Security Administration's Web site page Withdrawing from Medicare Part B.

Terraplen answered...

wow... i am using the public library computer and have limited time. every website that came up referred me to "enroll" in part B rather than what i needed to find out... i was beginning to feel the strange from the effects of being manipulated by our system... I am not against part B but we live in Mexico and don't leave really... and the only income i have is my $1K from SSA after working all my life ... so the deduction of more than 12% when i am seeing my own drs. here is more than i can bear. And quite frankly esp. since i have to watch so much gov $ being being blown away in wars and waste

Another way is to file Form 521 to withdraw from Social Security Tier II benefits and from Medicare. I did it to withdraw SS benefits and they automatically withdrew me from Medicare (no information or interview).

Dturkey1 answered...

Where do we mail the form?

Wolf-gazo answered...

You can send it your your nearest SSA office. The website says an interview is required. I don't know how true that is.

http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/selfservice/USAGov/#!portal/1012/article/4535/Voluntary-Termination-of-Medicare-Part-B

Mr. Matthews answer is not entirely correct, according to Social Security. After the completion of the process to terminate via CMS-1763, your Medicare will be cancelled at the end of the following month.....in my case, I filed the form 12/7...they refuse to cancel eff. 12/31. They say the coverage will terminate 1/31, so I am paying for both Medicare and my new employer health plan for that one additional month! In essence, it could be up to 60 days before they will terminate your coverage through Medicare.

I have been researching getting medical treatment from sliding scale health clinics. In my city and state I can get blood lab work for less than $100 for all the tests I get on a regular basis. I am relatively healthy and don't fee the need to have Part B. I only have one medical condition that requires 2 yearly visits and a $4 monthly prescription. I don't like being pressured to get Part B.

Liameg answered...

Hope you have fixed the problem by now. In case that is not so, or for future victims of this situation, this is what I was advised to do, by an SSA rep over the phone:

I was told to send a written letter, saying I didn't want part B. And to include my SSN followed by an 'A' which is my medicare number. I didn't know this. Sign and date the letter. (The date of your letter has to be before the effective date of the part B.)

For the address to send it to, probably it will be the service office for the address social security has for you. I was told to send it to PSC6, Mid-America Program Service Center.

The above center is in Kansas City. I have no idea, however, if they handle this for everyone or just people with certain SSNs.

Social Security has a heavy hand when it comes to taking out premiums without our consent. And it can be a problem to get them to stop or not do it in the 1st place.

In hindsight, it would have been a good idea for me to send the 1st Medicare card back with a registered receipt of some kind, or to at least take a photo of their envelope so I would have the address. Maybe it's just the 2 month processing time going on here. I just know it's a lot of trouble over something that should have been my choice, not my problem to fix.