How do I cancel Medicare Part B?

Alex bomareto asked...

I turn 65 this year. I got my little card in the mail. I sent it back marked "No Part B". They started taking money out of my check anyway. I called them and told them that I did not want Medicare Part B. They said they can't do anything over the phone to do it on the internet. I looked all over the internet society and I cannot find a place to cancel Part B. Can you help me please?

Medicare makes it difficult to cancel, or withdraw from, Medicare Part B, and part of this intentional difficulty is not having a simple online form for it through the Medicare.gov Web site. Because Medicare Part B provides important coverage for most people 65 and older, and because there's a penalty if someone cancels Medicare but then later wants to enroll again, Medicare enrolls everyone automatically at age 65 and wants to make sure no one cancels their coverage without fully understanding the consequences.

So, in order to cancel your Medicare Part B coverage, you have to fill out a form (CMS-1763) with the Social Security Administration, which handles initial Medicare enrollment. In order to do so, you must call your local Social Security office and speak on the phone with a Social Security adviser who can help you fill out this form. Or, you can make an appointment to see a Social Security adviser in person, at your local Social Security office. Once you have filled out the form and submitted it to Social Security, they will send you a letter explaining the consequences of withdrawing from Medicare Part B. Your withdrawal will be effective at the end of the month when you file your request form. To learn more about this process, you can visit the Social Security Administration's Web site page Withdrawing from Medicare Part B.

Terraplen answered...

wow... i am using the public library computer and have limited time. every website that came up referred me to "enroll" in part B rather than what i needed to find out... i was beginning to feel the strange from the effects of being manipulated by our system... I am not against part B but we live in Mexico and don't leave really... and the only income i have is my $1K from SSA after working all my life ... so the deduction of more than 12% when i am seeing my own drs. here is more than i can bear. And quite frankly esp. since i have to watch so much gov $ being being blown away in wars and waste

Another way is to file Form 521 to withdraw from Social Security Tier II benefits and from Medicare. I did it to withdraw SS benefits and they automatically withdrew me from Medicare (no information or interview).

Dturkey1 answered...

Where do we mail the form?

Wolf-gazo answered...

You can send it your your nearest SSA office. The website says an interview is required. I don't know how true that is.

http://answers.usa.gov/system/templates/selfservice/USAGov/#!portal/1012/article/4535/Voluntary-Termination-of-Medicare-Part-B

Mr. Matthews answer is not entirely correct, according to Social Security. After the completion of the process to terminate via CMS-1763, your Medicare will be cancelled at the end of the following month.....in my case, I filed the form 12/7...they refuse to cancel eff. 12/31. They say the coverage will terminate 1/31, so I am paying for both Medicare and my new employer health plan for that one additional month! In essence, it could be up to 60 days before they will terminate your coverage through Medicare.

I have been researching getting medical treatment from sliding scale health clinics. In my city and state I can get blood lab work for less than $100 for all the tests I get on a regular basis. I am relatively healthy and don't fee the need to have Part B. I only have one medical condition that requires 2 yearly visits and a $4 monthly prescription. I don't like being pressured to get Part B.

Liameg answered...

Hope you have fixed the problem by now. In case that is not so, or for future victims of this situation, this is what I was advised to do, by an SSA rep over the phone:

I was told to send a written letter, saying I didn't want part B. And to include my SSN followed by an 'A' which is my medicare number. I didn't know this. Sign and date the letter. (The date of your letter has to be before the effective date of the part B.)

For the address to send it to, probably it will be the service office for the address social security has for you. I was told to send it to PSC6, Mid-America Program Service Center.

The above center is in Kansas City. I have no idea, however, if they handle this for everyone or just people with certain SSNs.

Social Security has a heavy hand when it comes to taking out premiums without our consent. And it can be a problem to get them to stop or not do it in the 1st place.

In hindsight, it would have been a good idea for me to send the 1st Medicare card back with a registered receipt of some kind, or to at least take a photo of their envelope so I would have the address. Maybe it's just the 2 month processing time going on here. I just know it's a lot of trouble over something that should have been my choice, not my problem to fix.

Chem specialist answered...

I have medical insurance from my previous employer and turned 65 this past November. So, a few months before my birthday, I got a letter from my previous employer telling me to sign up for Medicare A so that I could get a denial letter from SS saying I was not eligible for premium free Medicare part A. My insurance would have been canceled without the denial letter. So I went to the local SS office on 9/16 to get help signing up for part A. But the woman helping me signed me up for both A and B. She never asked me if I wanted part B. She just said she was sure I would need it. So, a week or so later I called my previous employer to find out if I needed part B. The answer was no, my current insurance provides me with everything I need. On 10/7 I called the local SS office to find out how to cancel part B. They advised me to send a signed and dated letter requesting to cancel part B to the Mid Atlantic office in Philadelphia. Six weeks and 2 more bills later, I still had not heard anything about whether part B was canceled. I called local SS office again. This time I was sent a form to fill out and was told to attach a copy of the letter that went to Philly. About a month after that, I finally got a letter saying part B was canceled, but that I owe $769.60 in premiums up to the end of January. I feel scammed! I have to pay all this money for something I never asked for, didn't want and didn't need. I'm not sure what to do now, but I'm pretty frustrated, exasperated and angry about it!!

Stevewj answered...

Medicare will charge you an extra month's premium when you terminate Part B coverage. I turned 65 on Feb 15 and enrolled in Part B though I had full coverage through my employer which I pay nearly $12K a year for; problem was, my employer was less than 20 employees so Aetna declined to be Primary, forcing me to buy Part B. My employer was bought out by a large company (500+ employees) so I no longer needed Part B (new Ins carrier IS Primary). I was covered by Part B for one month (all of FEB as it starts first of the month of your birth month), then terminated at my local SS office on FEB 25th with CSM-1763 (stamped/dated 2/25). The scam is (and it is a scam really), they force you to keep it for an extra month; you are forced to 'buy' something for a month when you don't want nor need it. I quote their rule: "Termination of Medicare Part B occurs at the end of the month following the month in which you file Form CSM-1763" I received a bill today for THREE months worth of Part B premiums... not only FEB (the month I did need it) and MARCH (which I didn't need), but also somehow an extra month... One more trip down to SS office... which closes at 4pm by the way, and at NOON on Wednesdays. More time taken off from work to fill out more paperwork for SS admin.

Ptwigg answered...

hello my husband had a transplant in 2009 and was put on medicare part a. He is now working full time and has medical benefits through Blue Cross. However, they continue to deny any bills stating that they are secondary payor for medical bills, etc. We have contacted SSI and they keep telling us that in the near future he will be taken off of Medicare Part A. We have been told different answers from different people at SSI in Philadelphia. They explained to us that because it is a free service they don't take people off once they are put on. We need him to come off of Part A because it is interfering and causing us to have to basically pay out of pocket for all medical bills. Any help would be greatly appreciate. thank you.