Sunrise of Bonita

3302 Bonita Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910
Sunrise of Bonita (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 2 days

Please ask about our February Special Incentives!

Reviews of Sunrise of Bonita

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Bonita

December 05, 2016

By SS630355

The room at Sunrise of Bonita was a bit dark, and the place looked a bit old. The staff seemed comparable to others that I am familiar with. I remember there was a salon, but there was no pool and no chapel.

February 10, 2016

By Suzanne41

Sunrise of Bonita was clean and very nice. The people were lovely. The place was nice. The sales director was very professional and nice.

December 28, 2015

By Harry26

Sunrise of Bonita reminded us of a hotel a little bit too much, which was probably our biggest negative about it. It was one of the places that had the dining room visible from the front door. The common areas were all right there at the front door, so it had a hotel-like atmosphere. I like their activities, though, and that they catered to pets. They have a pet walking club and others things that I really liked, but the hotel atmosphere overpowered my mother, so she doesn’t want to go there. The staff was very friendly. The med techs and the housekeepers spoke to us while we were touring. They assign one caregiver to a group of residents and don’t change them around if they don’t have to, so that your parents would get used to having the same caregiver at least five days a week; that’s a positive.

November 30, 2015

By Deb33

My mother is in Sunrise. The people seem very nice and friendly. They are always helpful when I call. They go outside to do things, but she is not really involved in much of that. They do have a bus that will take her to her doctor's appointment, or she can take a taxi. They communicate pretty well. When I ask questions, they answer, and they get back to me if they do not have an answer. They are doing pretty well. I am satisfied with the care. She is eating three times a day, and that's all that matters. She has roof over her head, and she is getting healthier.

November 05, 2015

By kendrab ra

Staff is great at problem solving. They truly care! its amazing how they work as a team!

August 26, 2015

By Amazing people

I moved my mother in law in a couple days ago and the staff is spectacular. They really made the transition easy and seamless. Michelle, Dan, and Liz were so helpful through this whole process. They guided my husband and I in the right direction and helped every step of the way. I feel very secure and safe in knowing she is adjusting better than expected.

June 08, 2015

By My parents lived at Sunrise

My father lived at Sunrise facility for a little over one year. Prior to moving my dad in, the family confirmed with Sunrise Intake Worker, Michelle that they would be able to take care of my dad’s urinary catheter care. They said they were equipped to do so and that the employees were trained to take care of residents with catheter care. Well, my dad had numerous infections while at this facility. Unfortunately from my observation the help there was not properly trained on urinary catheter care. My dad ultimately died from a severe urinary tract infection that shut down his kidneys. When he was transported to the hospital he had a fever of 104 degrees and low blood pressure. In addition, he did not have normal behavior per staff. All red flags for staff! This turn of events was very unfortunate and an obvious sign that staff is not trained or qualified to do routine assessments when patients are acting out of character or present with other symptoms. As for my Mom, she came to this facility and was there for approximately one month. She had her own private medical providers and we told this to Michelle. However, somehow a visiting Physicians Assistant came to the facility and did an evaluation and prescribed her medications. First of all, he was not authorized to see her because she had her own private doctors. And we indicated all of this information on the intake process. Second, he prescribed her medication without the authority to do so. This medication made her dizzy and I am sure without a doubt that it was a contributing factor in her fall that led to her broken hip and subsequent death. I only share these two events with those of you that are looking for an assisted living facility for your parents or loved ones. I could go on and on. But, I have selected the most relevant events to share and both are medically related. Incidentally, I believe they have 1 RN and 2 med-techs on staff for the assisted living section. None of the staff that does the day to day care have any medical training or medical credentials to qualify them to evaluate a residents physical or mental health. I hope you will consider these events in the evaluation of Sunrise of Bonita, Chula Vista. Look beyond the decor and you will discover that Sunrise is understaffed, has a high attrition rate for their employees, and caregivers lack the training they need to identify health care needs. Last, I wish to praise two staff caregivers that went above and beyond their job description: Elsa and Azima.

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

May 27, 2015

By Tim30

Sunrise of Bonita is a very nice place. It was clean, and people were friendly. They looked after my in-laws alright. They didn’t seem to have interesting activities, but I don’t have anything negative to say about them.

April 20, 2015

By LeslieW

We chose this facility for my father in law. He has dementia related to multiple health issues. He is currently on hospice care at the facility in their memory care unit. The staff is fantastic. He is in a companion room which is perfect. He only shares a bathroom and kitchenette area with another resident. They each have their on bedroom. The room is bright and cheerful. We were able to decorate it however we wanted. We visit each day and he is always clean, well groomed and happy. He does not lay around in his room all day but is up and encouraged to be engaged with other residents and staff. He was able to keep his dog even though he requires assistance feeding and walking him. There are large common living rooms and dining rooms which are decorated in a homey environment. Every time we are there the residents are engaged with staff in activities or enjoying thier surroundings. Any little thing we mention to staff is taken care immediately. He is very happy there and we are gratefull for his care. I am in the health care field and know what to look for in the care. This care is excellent.

February 17, 2015

Our visit to Sunrise at Bonita was great because the environment was very clean and organized, and the staff was accommodating and nice. The people here were very friendly and looked happy.

April 30, 2014

By karmalee

Other

The customer service here is deplorable - you can call and leave a message and you will never receive a call back from anyone. They also like to incorrectly assess your loved one so you are happy with the cost at first, but then they move him to a higher level (without notice/warning). We were so unhappy after moving dad in ( he was unhappy too) that we moved him out to a much much better facility within 2 weeks of moving him into Sunrise. Be careful with this facility!!!

We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our community. We take your comments very seriously and would like more information. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details. Thanks, the Sunrise Team

January 31, 2014

By Caring77952050

My dad is at Sunrise at Bonita now. I looked at a lot of others and this place was the medium size that I like that's why I chose them. Also, because my dad has a little dementia, so it was important to me that they could drive him to the doctor's appointments and take him up to the doctor's office and not just dump him off the curb. I like this place. My first impression was that there were a lot of older people down in the lobby, which was good for me because it made me feel like they feel comfortable enough they could just hang out downstairs. For accommodation, my dad is in a private room. It's big enough and it has a really nice bathroom that is modern. The food is great. They have a very nice dining room. It's spacious enough for wheelchairs. The staff is great. Their work ethic is really good. For activities, they would take the residents out on outings, they have happy hour, exercise class and holiday meals with families invited. I like this facility but I did have two problems with them. The first one is that they changed the rate on us immediately after we moved him in. They started the rate increase at January instead of the moved-in date and we moved him right before January. I thought they misrepresented themselves when they made me an offer on the rate. Also, when I called to schedule a doctor's visit for them for my dad, they use a regular notebook and they can't find it, so they shuffled me around from person to person. Then they forgot to put it in the book and it's just a constant struggle.

We're glad to hear about your positive experience with our community, but sorry that there have been some areas of concern. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com so we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

January 31, 2014

By Robert77986950

My wife stayed at Sunrise for three weeks. It was not a large facility. It probably had about 60 residents and it was designed to look like a home. I liked the rooms which were semi-private rooms and 99% of the people who worked there were very good. They all had a good attitude, very friendly and caring about the residents. They had a flat rate for the room plus a flat rate for the assistance she received.

December 15, 2012

By Nancy25

My father chose this facility as his home. He secured a great private suite that allowed us to put many of his existing furnishings inside to make his new home as familair and comfortable as his condo. He fully enjoyed the meals and comraderie of his table mates as well as the opportunity to go on outings to Balboa park, Viejas Casino, and local shopping excursions. The staff was caring and responsive and I found them to be meticulous in insuring he received his medications. Sunrise also had funny and entertaining activities daily whioch kept my Dad's interest up as well as providing entertainment. I highly reccommend Sunrise for your consideration in placing your loved one.

March 13, 2012

By commercesd

My friend and I went to check out Sunrise of Bonita while looking at places for he and his wife to live in the area. They have lived in the region for many years and want to remain in the area to stay connected with friends. We noticed right away that the grounds were beautifully landscaped and very nicely maintained. There were plenty of places to enjoy being outside and safe areas to walking around. They also have a resident dog and cat, which adds to its homey atmosphere. They can adjust their care levels according to how needs change, which we really liked. My friend and his wife have a relatively active lifestyle. However, that may change over time, so they are looking for somewhere that can change with them. Each of the interior areas featured many places to enjoy peacefully and were lovely and very easy to access for the seniors. The entire interior was designed with beautiful views in a current décor and lots of fresh air and light. The social rooms offered easy ways for seniors to easily socialize, make crafts, play games, watch TV and films and participate in the many stimulating activities. Seniors are encouraged to use the exercise facilities to take classes or use equipment. They may also go on walks around the property. Private living spaces were airy, spacious and nicely designed. Bathrooms and all facilities were designed with safety in mind. Healthy food options for all kinds of diets were available on the menus. The dining rooms was nice and the food we saw looked and smelled appetizing. Snacks were offered whenever requested and all day and into the evening. The regular outings included trips into town for local sight seeing, nature walks and visits to all of the great activities that Chula Vista offers. All of the seniors here looked as though they were enjoying living in this retirement community very much, served well by kind and caring staff.

Memory Care Reviews for Sunrise of Bonita

Questions about Sunrise of Bonita

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Staff regularly attends in-services and dementia specific special trainings. We also have comprehensive online learning modules, group classes, job-shadowing, and regional support for training/extended learning.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sunrise of Bonita. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Sunrise is an "Age in Place" community. Our resident range from fully independent (even still driving!) to light care, to total care assistance. The average age is mid 80's though we have younger and older. Some of the more popular things to do in our community include exercise classes, music programs, art classes, and community outings.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Bonita offer to enrich residents' well-being?

What places are near Sunrise of Bonita or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Bonita View Mall

What transportation services does Sunrise of Bonita offer to assisted living residents?

Transportation to all medical appointments, shopping trips, community destination outings and scenic drives.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sunrise of Bonita exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Meals are prepared fresh, Sunrise is a leader in National efforts to increase awareness of senior nutritional needs. We can also accommodate special dietary needs and diet textures.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Bonita offer to assisted living residents?

Pull cords, call pendants, secured doors, wander guard system, and delayed-egress secured Memory Care.

How does Sunrise of Bonita keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Phone calls, emails, texts, letters, and community postings.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Sunrise of Bonita during daytime and nighttime hours?

Variable staffing based on acuity of resident population. We are known for having the most staffing in our area, enabling us to meet the needs of residents with greater care needs than most. We also have 7 day a week RN/LVN coverage.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Staff regularly attends in-services and special trainings. We also have comprehensive online learning modules, group classes, job-shadowing, and regional support for training/extended learning.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Variable staffing based on the acuity of the resident population. We are known for having the most staffing in our area, enabling us to meet the needs of residents with greater care needs than most. We also have 7 days a week RN/LVN coverage.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Bonita provide to protect residents who wander?

delayed-egress secured Memory Care. Also wander guard system on the AL side of community.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Bonita offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Music, painting, floral arranging, current events discussions, exercise, civic events participation, community outings, family events, movie matinees, and even karaoke! We also have a number of activities geared at memory triggering and reminiscence including name that tune, history discussions, and word games.

RN...monthly wellness checkups. Assessments are completed prior to move in and every 6 months thereafter, unless a change of condition calls the need for an earlier assessment.

What techniques does Sunrise of Bonita use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Guidance, hands on support, specialized utensils and dining ware. Soft music and calm atmosphere for dining. Also encouragement of course!

How does Sunrise of Bonita keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Phone calls, email, texts, and letters.

Describe the neighborhood around Sunrise of Bonita. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Quiet mixed business and residential neighborhood.

Is Sunrise of Bonita affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Sunrise prefers to accommodate family wishes when it comes to hospital preferences. We also partner with local SNFs. We have 2 major acute care hospitals within less than 5 minutes from community.

Photos of Sunrise of Bonita