5 Assisted Living Facilities near Wheelersburg, OH
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wheelersburg area, with 1 in Wheelersburg and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Wheelersburg is $2,999 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,375.
To help you with your search, browse the 8 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wheelersburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wheelersburg 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wheelersburg, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Wheelersburg, OH
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Wheelersburg, OH
Assisted Living near Wheelersburg, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wheelersburg
Review of River Bend House
Very nice place! Clean and welcoming. Staff is very nice. Residents are well taken care of. Read more
Review of River Bend House
I visited River Bend House. They gave me a price, but then later I found out it was actually higher than what they said. Then, they had a nurse that would evaluate you. Supposedly, I qualified for ... Read more
Review of River Bend House
My mother is in River Bend House. We like them very much. It’s clean, and it’s a nice facility. The people there are very polite. Read more
Assisted Living near Scioto County, OH
More Options Near Wheelersburg, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wheelersburg
Wheelersburg is a community located on the banks of the Ohio River and is part of the Porter Township. In the 2010 census 6,437 people made their homes in Wheelersburg and almost 18 percent were aged 65 and over.
There is one assisted living facility in the community to cater to this large senior population, and another four in the nearby communities of Portsmouth, New Boston and Minford. The facilities are monitored and licensed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wheelersburg
- Seniors in Wheelersburg can use the Access Scioto County (ASC) public transit system. ASC provides a curb to curb, shared ride service that can be scheduled in advance. Riders aged 65 and over receive a 50 percent discount on fares.
- Wheelersburg has around 160 days of sunshine each year, around 45 less than the national average, which may be challenging for seniors who enjoy spending time in the sun. In July the average high temperature is 86 degrees Fahrenheit and in January the average low is 21 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The Sperling cost of living index lists Wheelersburg's cost of living at 81.2, compared to the national average of 100, making it a very inexpensive place to live. Seniors may save money on groceries and transportation, however health care can still be pricey with a cost index of 99, compared to the Ohio average of 87.
- The overall crime rate in Wheelersburg is 15 per 1,000 residents. It's safer than 49 percent of American communities, putting the crime rate very close to the national average. Compared to communities of a similar size, Wheelersburg's crime rate is noticeably lower, which may reassure safety-conscious seniors.
- Social Security Income in Ohio is exempt from state income tax, however, seniors who are funding their retirement through pensions or retirement funds will have to pay income tax. There are tax credits available that can help lower this expense. In addition, Ohio sales taxes are slightly higher than the national average, which may impact retirement budgets.
- The Wheelersburg area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Portsmouth.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wheelersburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Wheelersburg start around $2,999 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wheelersburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wheelersburg
Seniors who receive Social Security Income in Ohio may be eligible to receive additional funding through the Optional State Supplement. In addition, the state has an Assisted Living Waiver Program, which offers financial assistance to residents of assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wheelersburg
Wheelersburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wheelersburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wheelersburg
Wheelersburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.