21 Assisted Living Facilities near Toms River, NJ
Also serving communities of Bayville, Lanoka Harbor, Forked River, Whiting.
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Toms River area, with 5 in Toms River and 16 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 161 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Toms River. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Toms River 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brick with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Toms River, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Toms River, NJ
16 Assisted Living Facilities near Toms River, NJ
Other Options in Toms River, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Toms River
Review of The Chelsea At Toms River
I loved The Chelsea At Toms River, but it's too expensive. Everything was good, and the layout was beautiful. The person who toured me around was really good. They had all kinds of activities like ... Read more
Review of Spring Oak At Tom River
Spring Oak At Tom River was a pretty nice facility. Angela, the person who toured me around, was nice and good. The food looked good and the dining area was nice. They have things for the veterans ... Read more
Review of Spring Oak At Tom River
We visited Spring Oak at Toms River. We were impressed, its very clean, the representative was very good, very knowledgeable, and my sister was impressed. When shes ready to go, shell probably g... Read more
Assisted Living near Ocean County, NJ
More Options Near Toms River, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Toms River
Toms River, New Jersey, the county seat of Ocean County, is situated along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. It's easily accessed from the Garden State Parkway and has a population of 89,791, 18.5 percent of whom are 65 and over. To accommodate local seniors requiring help with daily tasks, there are five assisted living facilities located in Toms River and 25 more located in nearby neighborhoods. In Toms River and throughout New Jersey, there are three kinds of assisted living facilities; they include assisted living residences (ALRs), comprehensive personal care homes (CPCHs), and assisted living programs (ALPs). All facilities are licensed and regulated by the state's Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Toms River
- The highest average temperatures in Toms River occur in July at 76 degrees, while in January, average lows hit 31 degrees. December weather brings up to 12 inches of rain and snow, which can challenge seniors with mobility issues.
- The air quality index in Toms River is 19 percent better than the U.S. average, while the pollution index is 115 percent worse than the national average. This may be a concern for seniors with allergies, asthma and respiratory conditions.
- The cost of living in Toms River is 3 percent lower than the state average but 21 percent higher than the U.S. average, so many seniors relocating from other parts of New Jersey can enjoy about the same standard of living.
- New Jersey is moderately tax-friendly to seniors. Social Security payments aren't taxed by the state, and state income taxes are low for retirees with less than $65,000 in income from retirement accounts and pensions. Unfortunately, property taxes here are the highest in the country.
- Toms River's overall crime rate is 26 percent lower than the national average, which translates to about 6 crimes committed daily per 100,000 people. Toms River is safer than 64 percent of the cities in the United States.
- The Toms River area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Community Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Toms River
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Toms River start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Toms River and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Toms River
Financial assistance for assisted living facilities in Toms River and other areas of New Jersey can be obtained through the state’s Medicaid program via the 1115 Demonstration Waiver program. All assisted living facilities in the state have to reserve 10 percent of their beds for Medicaid recipients, and family members may supplement the program to get a private room.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Toms River
Toms River and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Toms River, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Toms River
Toms River-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.