2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sleepy Eye, MN
Also serving communities of Fairfax.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Sleepy Eye. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sleepy Eye 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sleepy Eye, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sleepy Eye, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sleepy Eye
The small city of Sleepy Eye is home to almost 3,600 people, and more than 19% of its residents are aged 65 and older. Seniors retiring to the city can get to know their neighbors at community events such as the ice fishing contest each February and Buttered Corn Days in August. Seniors can also find accommodation at one of Sleepy Eye's two assisted living facilities, which offer seniors, who are mostly independent, assistance with activities of daily living. Minnesota's Home Care and Assisted Living Program administrates the licensing and monitoring of assisted living facilities in Sleepy Eye.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sleepy Eye
- The Sleepy Eye area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in New Ulm.
- Winters in Sleepy Eye can be very cold, with low temperatures in January averaging 5 degrees and 43 inches of snow falling over the colder months. In July, the average high is around 83 degrees and the city has 202 sunny days each month, three less than the national average, which gives seniors many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors during the summer months.
- The Sperling index rates Sleepy Eye's overall cost of living at 84.7, more than 15 points lower than the national average of 100. Although the cost of groceries is higher than the U.S. average, which may impact seniors' budgets, this is mitigated by the low costs of healthcare and transport.
- Seniors in Sleepy Eye must pay state income tax on income from all retirement sources, including pensions, Social Security and retirement savings accounts. The state's sales taxes are also high, ranked sixth in the United States, although medications and most groceries and clothing are exempt.
- Heartland Express is a bus service that operates throughout Brown County, including Sleepy Eye. It is a shared-ride, on-demand service, and rides must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
- Sleepy Eye is a low crime area. The Sperling crime index rates the city's violent crime as 10.1, more than 5 points lower than the state average. Similarly, property crime is rated 7.3, almost 26 points lower than the Minnesota ranking. This may be reassuring to seniors who are concerned about their safety.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sleepy Eye
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Sleepy Eye start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sleepy Eye and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sleepy Eye
Sleepy Eye residents in assisted living facilities may be eligible for financial assistance through Minnesota's Elderly Waiver. The Optional State Supplement may also be available to seniors who receive income from Social Security.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sleepy Eye
Sleepy Eye and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sleepy Eye, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sleepy Eye
Sleepy Eye-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Sleepy Eye, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sleepy Eye
Review of Countryside Retirement Community
Countryside is an asset to the Sleepy Eye and wider community. It provides up-to-date housing for seniors and available activities for residents. Noon dinners are provided by a licensed dietician a... Read more