2 Assisted Living Facilities in Lake City, MN
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Lake City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lake City 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lake City, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Lake City, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lake City
Lake City, Minnesota, sits beside Lake Pepin, the widest spot of the Mississippi River. Ralph Samuelson invented water-skiing here in 1922. Today, the historic river town offers seniors excellent boating and numerous parks ideal for walking, swimming and fishing.
Adults aged 65 and older make up 26.8% of Lake City’s estimated population of 5,131. Those who need help with day-to-day personal care, meals and medications find two assisted living facilities in Lake City. The Minnesota Department of Health licenses and regulates assisted living communities in the Lake City and in all of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lake City
- Seniors in Lake City live in the least tax-friendly state for retirees, according to the Kiplinger 2018 list. Minnesota taxes Social Security benefits as well as income from 401(k) plans and individual retirement accounts. All pensions except those from the military are also taxed.
- The Lake City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mayo Clinic Health System, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Lake City has an overall cost of living that's 3% lower than the U.S. average. Seniors may enjoy significant savings on transportation, healthcare, utility and grocery costs, which are all lower than the national average.
- Security-conscious seniors can appreciate the lower-than-average crime rates in Lake City. On a 100-point scale, Lake City’s violent crime rate of 10.9 is half that of the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime in Lake City scores 20.5, also significantly below the national average of 35.4.
- Despite its small size, Lake City is big on fun with numerous annual festivals and street markets for seniors to look forward to. May brings the 100-Mile Garage Sale, June the Tour De Pepin Bike Tour and Water Ski Days, followed by the Fourth of July Fireworks extravaganza. Johnny Appleseed Days take place every October. If that’s not enough action, centrally located Lake City is just 68 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul and 34 miles from Rochester when seniors crave big-city adventures.
- Seniors should prepare for snowy, cold winters in Lake City. With a January low that averages 5 degrees and 42 inches of snow per year, Lake City may give some older adults a severe case of cabin fever. July’s average high temperature of 83 degrees makes Lake City warmer than most places in Minnesota.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lake City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Lake City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lake City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lake City
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lake City
Lake City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lake City, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lake City
Lake City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Lake City, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lake City
Review of The Bluffs of Lake City
I would want anyone else who was searching in Southeastern Minnesota to know about The Bluffs of Lake City. It's fairly new, very clean, and has a memory care unit. I was really happy to find a roo... Read more