32 Assisted Living Facilities near Duluth, MN
Also serving communities of Hermantown.
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Duluth area, with 28 in Duluth and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Duluth is $1,889 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,650.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Duluth. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Duluth 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Superior with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Duluth, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Duluth, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Duluth
Duluth, a Lake Superior port city in Minnesota, has a population of about 86,000. Its location and abundance of natural gifts mean that residents have access to activities such as charter fishing, sailing, skiing and hiking. Residents age 55 and older also have access to 30 assisted living facilities with 16 nearby in places such as Hermantown, Minnesota, and Superior, Wisconsin. A facility must be licensed by the Health Regulation Division of the Department of Health to call itself assisted living. To get this licensure, a facility meets requirements for a housing with services establishment and a home care agency.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Duluth
- If you like snow, you’re in luck. Duluth receives a whopping 72 inches of snow a year on average. In comparison, the U.S. average is 26 inches. Unfortunately, Duluth only gets about 178 sunny days yearly, compared with 205 days on average for the United States. However, summers in the city can be pleasant with an average July high of 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course, the temperature plunges in the winter, and the January lows of 3 degrees Fahrenheit may be too much for some seniors.
- Duluth has a low cost of living, especially when it comes to housing. If a city scores higher than 100 in the cost of living category on Sperling’s Best Places, it is above average for the United States. Duluth scores 90, and health care and transportation costs both scored 97.
- Your chances of being the victim of a violent crime in Duluth are 1 in 272. In Minnesota as a whole, they’re 1 in 412.
Minnesota isn't a very tax-friendly state for seniors. Income from retirement accounts and pensions are fully taxed, and Social Security income is partially taxed.
- Duluth offers casinos, art galleries, ballet companies and theaters for seniors to enjoy. Recreational opportunities include camping and hiking at Jay Cooke State Park, sailing on Lake Superior and skiing on Spirit Mountain.
- The Duluth Transit Authority provides service in the area. They don't have reduced rates for seniors, but you can ride the Port Town Trolley for free, and disabled American veterans who provide a Department of Veteran Affairs Service Connected identification can ride any bus for free.
Paying for Assisted Living in Duluth
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Duluth start around $1,889 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Duluth and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Duluth
Duluth residents in assisted living may qualify for a state supplement to SSI payments. The state also uses the Community Alternative Care and the Elderly, Traumatic Brain Injury, Community Alternatives for Disabled Adults waiver programs to defray assisted living costs in some cases.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Duluth
Duluth and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Duluth, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Duluth
Duluth-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Duluth, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Duluth
Review of Duluth Heights Lodge Senior Living
My dad has moved into Duluth Heights Lodge Senior Living. He has his own apartment with living room, bedroom, and kitchenette. There is no stove because they don't want him cooking. I have tried th... Read more
Review of Mount Royal Pines III
Mount Royal Pines III was a very nice community. The staff was very attentive, and the rooms were very nice. It's very adequate, well-lit, and has a kitchenette. It felt like home. During the pande... Read more
Review of Duluth Heights Lodge Senior Living
My tour at Duluth Heights Lodge Senior Living was very nice. We were met at the door by John and he took us through the building and into the assisted living area. He's very knowledgeable. It's a v... Read more