3 Assisted Living Facilities in Aitkin, MN
Also serving communities of Mcgregor.
The average cost of assisted living in Aitkin is $3,575 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Aitkin. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Aitkin 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Aitkin, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Aitkin
The City of Aitkin is the county seat of Aitkin County and home to around 2,100 people. It has a sizable senior population, with more 27% of residents aged 65 and over. The city is located on the Mississippi River and seniors retiring to the area can enjoy outdoor recreation, including fishing, golf and bird watching, throughout the year. There are three assisted living facilities in Aitkin that provide accommodation to seniors who are mostly independent but need some help with daily activities. These facilities are overseen by Minnesota's Home Care and Assisted Living Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Aitkin
- The Aitkin area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Riverwood Healthcare Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- For seniors who wish to run errands, Arrowhead Transit runs a limited-schedule Dial-A-Ride service for trips within two miles of Aitkin's city limits. On certain days of the month, buses are also available to nearby towns such as Duluth and McGregor.
- The overall cost of living in Aitkin is 88.9 on the Sperling index, more than 11 points lower than the national average. Although the cost of groceries in the town is slightly higher than the U.S. average, seniors with health conditions may be pleased to learn that healthcare costs are about 17 points lower than the U.S. average.
- All retirement income, including pensions, Social Security and money from retirement savings accounts, is subject to state income tax in Minnesota. Sales taxes in the state are also among the highest in the country. Seniors can save money on certain everyday expenses that are exempt from sales tax, such as medications, groceries and some clothing.
- The overall crime rate in Aitkin is 27 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 87% of Minnesota's other communities. The violent crime rate is just 0.5 per 1,000 residents, however, the property crime rate in the town is 26.8, almost five points higher than the Minnesota median of 22. Seniors touring assisted living communities may wish to ask management staff about the facilities' security measures.
- Aitkin has an array of community resources for seniors, including Aitkin County CARE, an organization that provides services that help promote the independence and well-being of older adults as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Aitkin
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Aitkin start around $3,575 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Aitkin and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Aitkin
The Elderly Waiver provides financial assistance to eligible Aitkin residents in assisted living facilities. Seniors receiving Social Security Income may also be able to access the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Aitkin
Aitkin and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Aitkin, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Aitkin
Aitkin-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Aitkin
Review of Aicota Health Care Center
My great aunt was at this assisted living home for 5 months. We moved her due to her high-end, double-the-cost, assisted living facility in the northern suburbs having major changes in administrati... Read more
Review of Aicota Health Care Center
The staff was very friendly and willing to help. You could tell that they were concerned with the comfort of their guests. The facility was very clean and had a peaceful atmosphere. There was a v... Read more