3 Assisted Living Facilities near Hillsdale, MI
Also serving communities of Reading, Montgomery, Hudson.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hillsdale area, with 2 in Hillsdale and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hillsdale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hillsdale 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hillsdale, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Hillsdale, MI
1 Assisted Living Facility near Hillsdale, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hillsdale
Nearly 8,050 people live in Hillsdale, a small city in southern Michigan. The city’s 1,110 senior residents can spend their days fishing, swimming or boating in nearby Baw Beese Lake or at other parks.
Some seniors may need some help with activities of daily living as they get older, and three assisted living facilities are located in the Hillsdale area. They’re licensed as “homes for the aged” by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hillsdale
- Like other parts of the Great Lakes region, Hillsdale is snowier than the U.S. average. There is significant snowfall for six months of the year with a total accumulation of about 44 inches. While skiers may love these winters, other seniors may eagerly await the arrival of summer.
- Hillsdale has an array of community resources for seniors, including Perennial Park, an organization that offers Medicare counseling, legal services and transportation to medical appointments. It also operates a senior center.
- The Hillsdale area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Hillsdale Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Michigan has a flat income tax rate, and Hillsdale seniors will pay 4.25% on their non-exempt retirement income. The types of income that can be excluded vary depending on a senior’s age. Some of Michigan’s cities also impose an income tax, but fortunately, Hillsdale doesn’t, which saves seniors some money.
- Despite its small size, there are many senior-friendly attractions in Hillsdale. Annual festivities include the Summer Concert Series, Farm Fest and Old-Fashioned Christmas. At Lewis Emery Park, seniors can fish in the six man-made ponds. Many events at Hillsdale College, such as plays and art exhibits, are open to the public.
- Hillsdale’s crime rate is lower than the state average. While the statewide violent crime rate is 4.5 per 1,000 residents, its only 2.7 per 1,000 in Hillsdale. At 16.46 per 1,000 residents, the small city’s property crime rate is also lower than the Michigan average of 18 per 1,000 residents.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hillsdale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Hillsdale start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hillsdale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hillsdale
The MI Choice waiver program, which is funded by Medicaid, may help seniors pay for the services they receive in Hillsdale’s licensed assisted living facilities, such as personal care, chore services and meals. Michigan’s optional state supplementation program provides extra monthly funding to low-income seniors who get SSI benefits.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hillsdale
Hillsdale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hillsdale, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hillsdale
Hillsdale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hillsdale
Review of Country Living Adult Fstr Care
I have already placed my mother at Country Living. The location is the first consideration in picking this one. There was a calendar there, and there were many things on it when I first went to vis... Read more
Review of Country Living Adult Fstr Care
It's a wonderful place! The staff is fine. It's just my mother-in-law. Well, she's 93, so you know how that goes. She didn't like it there and she didn't like where she's at now. She's not going to... Read more