24 Assisted Living Facilities near Joliet, IL
Also serving communities of Crest Hill, Shorewood.
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Joliet area, with 3 in Joliet and 21 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Joliet is $3,380 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 228 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Joliet. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Joliet 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Plainfield with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Joliet, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Joliet, IL
21 Assisted Living Facilities near Joliet, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Joliet
Joliet, population 147,861, is located less than an hour from the Chicago metro area. Seniors looking for assisted living communities in the Joliet area will find 41 assisted living facilities (ALF) from which to choose. ALFs in Joliet are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health and are certified by the Department of Healthcare and Family Services. In Illinois, assisted living facilities must provide single-occupancy apartments for residents, along with a private bathroom and space to accommodate small kitchen appliances.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Joliet
- The harsh climate of the Joliet area is one of the more negative points of the city. With an average of 28 inches of snow per year and a January low of 16, Joliet isn't the best location for seniors who prefer warm weather.
- Joliet also has a high violent crime rate. Seniors should note, however, that the city's violent crime rate is 7.3 percent lower than that of the nearby Chicago metro area. Property crime in Joliet is higher than the state average and slightly higher than property crime in the Chicago metro area.
- Another issue seniors in the Joliet area deal with is the high cost of living. However, the city's cost of living index is 11.10 percent lower than the national average.
- The sales tax rate in Joliet is 2.8 percent higher than the national average. Income tax in the city, however, is lower than the U.S. average. Illinois exempts almost all retirement income from taxation, including Social Security retirement income, pension payments and income from retirement savings accounts.
- The Joliet area is home to world-class medical services, including Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Joliet has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Services of Will County, an organization that offers social and recreational programs for adults 60 years of age and older, including games and exercise classes.
Paying for Assisted Living in Joliet
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Joliet start around $3,380 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Joliet and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Joliet
In Illinois, Medicaid does not pay for assisted living services. However, the state does offer an optional supplemental security (OSS) program that helps cover assisted living costs for low-income seniors and those receiving SSI payments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Joliet
Joliet and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Joliet, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Joliet
Joliet-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Joliet, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Joliet
Review of Rock Run Place
Rock Run Place had assisted living and memory care. The staff was very pleasant. The facility was nice and clean. You could tell that the residents were active. She showed us the rooms and took a t... Read more
Review of Rock Run Place
Brookdale seemed to be a nice place, they were helpful, and it would have been perfect for my mom. The room was fine, and for the most part there was no issue. My mom couldn’t take part in the acti... Read more
Review of Joshua Arms Senior Residences
We looked all over town to find a place for my aunt. There are a lot of fancier places (for a lot of money), but none were as friendly as Joshua Arms. Right away, we felt the warmth of residents an... Read more