3 Assisted Living Facilities in Flagstaff, AZ
The average cost of assisted living in Flagstaff is $3,145 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 21 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Flagstaff. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Flagstaff 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sedona with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Flagstaff, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Flagstaff
Flagstaff, Arizona is a city committed to low-light pollution so that residents and researchers can marvel at the night sky from their backyards or from Lowell Observatory. It is also home to the world’s largest Ponderosa Pine forest where seniors can stroll and observe nature. Seniors here make up 8 percent of the population and have three assisted living facilities in the Flagstaff area from which to choose. These facilities provide residents assistance with the tasks of daily living and medication management.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Flagstaff
- The climate in Flagstaff is ideal for seniors who enjoy warm, dry conditions, of the sort that is common in deserts. With 266 sunny days per year on average and an average July high of 84 degrees Fahrenheit, the warmer months are quite pleasant. On the other hand, the average low in winter in January is 16 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Flagstaff offers a number of transportation options for residents, including the Arizona Shuttle and Inspire Shuttle bus system that transports residents from Flagstaff to nearby Arizona cities. For local curb-to-curb service, seniors in the area have the Mountain Lift, the local ADA paratransit service for residents whose disabilities prevent them from using standard bus service.
- Social security benefit payments are not taxable in the state of Arizona, providing a financial benefit to seniors who settle down in assisted living facilities in the city of Flagstaff.
- The Flagstaff area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Phoenix.
Crime in Flagstaff can be a problem, but the rate of violent crime isn't high. It comes in close to the national average, just 1.2 points above the rate of 32.3. Property crime in the city is another story, scoring over 20 points higher than the average of 38.1.
- The Cost of living in the city is high, 24 points higher than the U.S. average. Health care costs are only three points higher than the average, while groceries are about 10 points higher. Housing, in particular, is expensive, at 71 points over the average.
Paying for Assisted Living in Flagstaff
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Arizona
Assisted Living costs in Flagstaff start around $3,145 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Flagstaff and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Flagstaff
There is needs-based funding available for seniors and their families in the Flagstaff area. This funding is provided through the Arizona Long-Term Care System program by a Medicaid 1115 demonstration waiver. Through the program, insurance companies work with care facilities to help pay for costs for seniors who are living in assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Flagstaff
Flagstaff and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Flagstaff, please visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Flagstaff
Flagstaff-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Arizona are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Arizona page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Flagstaff
Review of Brookdale Flagstaff
I moved into Brookdale Flagstaff. The caregivers here are good, they're very good about upkeep, and they remodel things, but it was more remodeling than necessary. They do not have food for a kidne... Read more
Review of Brookdale Flagstaff
I visited Brookdale Flagstaff. It was nice, and it would have been a fine place for my parents to be had they ben willing. The rooms were clean, but they would need a 2-bedroom place, and that woul... Read more
Review of Brookdale Flagstaff
We chose Brookdale Flagstaff for my mother for its location, for their availability, and because I enjoy the fact that Brookdale has a network. It helped having some Brookdale facilities here in Oc... Read more