(800) 973-1540

What type of veterans widow benefits am I eligible for?

8 answers | Last updated: Mar 20, 2015
mreyes1955 asked...
I am a veteran's widow and we were legally married with no children. What type of veterans widow benefits am I eligible for?

Caring.com User - Joseph L.  Matthews
Caring.com Expert
Joseph L. Matthews is a Caring.com Expert, an attorney, and the author of Long-Term Care: How to Plan & Pay for It and...
64% helpful

Two major veterans benefits may be available to you as the widow of a veteran, depending on your financial situation and on your husband's military experience. These may include a See also:
Can a widow's pension be protected from nursing home costs?

See all 176 questions about Financial Assistance for Seniors
pension and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

If you have very low income, you might qualify for a pension.(It's not available to you if you're remarried, however.) Your veteran husband must have had at least 90 days of active military service, at least one day of which was during a period of war, though there's no requirement that he actually saw combat. The pension can be up to $625 per month, depending on your financial need. The amount can go higher if you are housebound or you need regular in-home assistance.

Depending on your husband's experience in the military, you might also be eligible for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), which pays at least $1,091 a month. To qualify for DIC payments, your husband must have met one of the following requirements:

  • Died while on active duty;
  • Died from an injury or disease incurred while on active duty or on inactive duty training; or
  • Had a 100 percent-rated service-connected disability for ten years prior to his death, or for five years from date of his discharge until his death.

To get more information about veterans benefits for a widow, you can call the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) toll-free at 800-827-1000. Advisers can answer questions and direct you to a nearby VA benefits office, as well as start a benefits application for you. You can also get information about specific veterans benefits by going to the VA website, which has an online application page. Or you can make an appointment to talk to a VA benefits counselor in person at a local VA benefits office, which you can find by using the VA website's office locator page.


More Answers
19% helpful
mreyes1955 answered...

I am not working right now for 8 months no income from anywhere no health insurance not getting any younger I feel there should be some type of consideration but how would I know and whom should I speak with


3% helpful
An anonymous caregiver answered...

i was wandering if i can get a widows pension sense my husband passed about five months ago crackerjack44@gmail.com


8% helpful
SWilkins answered...

As long as he was active duty for 90 days and 1 day during wartime and has honorable discharge.I'm recently widowed on 4/24/11 and just applied for benefits.


8% helpful
JennyB answered...

mreyes, the benefits available to you as a survivor of a veteran may depend on how long your husband was in the military, whether he was incapacitated in any way due to his service, and/or whether he was in the military when he died. A good place to start:


If your late husband retired from the military (or died while in the military), you would be eligible for TRICARE medical benefits:



11% helpful
lostchild answered...

I just went through this with my mother and I wish she let me do it sooner.

I would contact your local VA Affairs office to help with the form: http://www.nacvso.org/

If your spouse died of an agent orange linked death ( my dady passed from lung cance) He will be considered 100% disabled.

you will then be eligiable for a monthly check, health coverage and if you fit the criteria : property tax exemption! These benfits were life changing for my mother.Good luck


Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer