Vehicle Grants for Disabled Veterans

All Rights Reserved

The V.A. can help a disabled veteran get an adapted vehicle.

The V.A. has grants to help some veterans with service-connected disabilities either buy a specially adapted vehicle or adapt an existing vehicle. The purpose of the adapted vehicle is to permit the veteran either to drive or ride in it.

Available V.A. grants for buying an adapted vehicle or adapting a vehicle

The V.A. provides grants up to $19,817 for certain veterans with service-connected disabilities to help buy a specially adapted new or used car, van, or other vehicle that can accommodate the veteran's disability. The grant is paid not to the veteran but directly to the seller of the vehicle. A veteran may receive only one such vehicle purchase grant in his or her lifetime.

The V.A. also offers grants to adapt a veteran's existing vehicle by adding adaptive equipment to accommodate certain service-connected disabilities, allowing the veteran either to drive or ride. This adaptive equipment includes power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seats, and special equipment to assist the veteran in getting into and out of the vehicle. Other adaptive equipment may be permitted if necessary, upon special application to the V.A. An adaptive equipment grant may be paid more than once, and it may be paid directly to the veteran.

How does a veteran qualify for a V.A. adapted vehicle grant?

A veteran with one of the following service-connected disabilities may qualify for a grant to buy a specially adapted vehicle:

  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands
  • Permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a degree that makes driving impossible even with normal corrective lenses
  • Severe burn injuries that limits motion of one or more extremities and makes driving impossible

Veterans who qualify for the vehicle purchase grant also qualify for the vehicle adaptation grant. Also, veterans with service-connected joint immobility (ankylosis) of a knee or hip may qualify for the adaptive equipment grant.

How can I apply for a V.A. adapted vehicle grant?

You can apply for either the vehicle purchase and/or the special adaptive equipment grant by filing [V.A. form 21-4502]( and submitting it to the [V.A. regional office]( that handles the veteran's service-connected disability claim file. The instructions on the form list the adaptive equipment that has been preapproved for particular disabilities and explain the process of submitting the form and working with the seller of the vehicle or of the equipment.

Where can I get help applying for a V.A. adapted vehicle grant?

If a veteran wants to purchase equipment that isn't listed on the form, or that isn't preapproved for his or her disability, the veteran can contact a [local V.A. medical center's]( Prosthetic Department for assistance before buying the equipment.

For general assistance with any V.A.-related question or problem by phone or in person, contact a [V.A. Vet Center]( or [V.A. Veterans Benefits Administration office]( The V.A. also has a toll-free telephone help line at 800-827-1000.

Joseph L. Matthews

Joseph Matthews is an attorney and the author of numerous books, including Social Security, Medicare, and Government Pensions, Long-Term Care: How to Plan and Pay for It; How to Win Your Personal Injury Claim; and The Lawyer Who Blew up His Desk. See full bio