There are 576,498 people living in Baltimore, MD, and 14.1% are seniors over 65. According to the CDC, symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia usually start to present around this age. Alzheimer’s disease is the fifth-leading cause of death for people over 65, and deaths due to the disease increased by 70% in the U.S. between 2000 and 2020. In Baltimore, Alzheimer’s-related deaths rose by 10.59% in just four years, from 2016 to 2020. Fortunately, cognitive decline can be slowed through the management of modifiable risk factors and evidence-based dementia care.

Baltimore has a wide range of memory care communities designed for the growing number of adults with Alzheimer’s. These communities have safety measures such as secured doors, fenced-in courtyards and around-the-clock caregivers. Memory care staff is trained to help residents manage the behaviors that come with cognitive impairment, such as confusion, mood swings and wandering.

This guide talks about the cost of dementia care in Baltimore and some of the free and low-cost resources available to the city’s seniors.

Directory of Memory Care Facilities in Baltimore, MD

Charter Senior Living of Towson

My brother used to live in Charter Senior Living of Towson. It’s bigger than the place he is right now, but everybody knows everybody’s name and they just act like family. It’s just so wonderful that … (read more)

The Cottages of Perry Hall

My husband was a resident in the Memory Care Unit for 3 yrs. During that time, I visited him almost daily and saw the wonderful care, concern and even love he received by the amazing staff. I am very … (read more)

Mabel’s House Assisted Living

I went to visit Mabel’s House Assisted Living. I liked the place. It was nice. I met the owner, and he was nice when talking to me. As a matter of fact, I was planning on a place for my husband there. … (read more)

Lighthouse Senior Living at Hopkins Creek

The tour was a very good experience. The place was very warm, friendly, and inviting. It was nice. The person that I spoke to was Ruth. She gave me the tour, and she was very friendly and informative. … (read more)

Angel Core Home of Care

Angel Core Home of Care is just a small house, so they only had like six people in it. It is a house with six bedrooms. The person who gave us the tour, Angela, was very friendly and very informativ … (read more)

Noble Senior Living at Baltimore

My father has moved into Noble Senior Living at Baltimore. It’s excellent. The room is very accommodating to him. I like how the residents interact with each other. I also like how the employer, the e … (read more)

God’s Way Only Assisted Living

I liked everything about God’s Way Only Assisted Living. I just didn’t like the stairs. The staff was a very kind, loving, and caring person. The room was nice, very clean, and a nice size.

Hands Full of Love Assisted Living

My mother moved into Hands Full of Love Assisted Living. It is a great place. They’ve got good food. They take good care, and they’re kind. I would rate them very good because they keep me informed, a … (read more)

Ardent Living Memory Care

Ardent Living Memory Care has been a huge help to my family. Until her death a month ago, my mother was the primary caretaker for my father, and after she died I struggled to find a place for him. T … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care in Baltimore

Since most COVID-19 rules for Memory Care Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Memory Care in Maryland. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Memory Care in Baltimore

The quality of care in Maryland’s assisted living facilities is monitored by the Office of Health Care Quality, a division of the Maryland Department of Health. It also licenses facilities and certifies those authorized to accept beneficiaries of Medicare and Medicaid. Additionally, it surveys facilities to determine if they’re continuing to comply with their licensing conditions.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Memory Care in Baltimore

• Baltimore County is a dementia-friendly community, which is an initiative that raises awareness about memory loss among the general population and encourages them to include seniors with dementia in social activities. The county’s programs include organizing dementia-awareness events and training various groups that regularly come into contact with seniors, such as transportation companies.
  • Baltimore boasts many medical facilities that are nationally ranked in multiple specialties, including Greater Baltimore Medical Center and the University of Maryland Medical Center. The city is also home to Johns Hopkins Hospital, which regularly appears in the country’s top 10 lists and is recognized worldwide for its quality of health care.
  • The latest data for Baltimore shows violent crime, and, to a lesser degree, property crime, is still high by state and national standards. However, the chance of being a victim varies greatly depending on the neighborhood, with areas such as Roland Park and Cedarcroft recognized as safer communities. Citizens concerned about the city’s crime figures should know memory care facilities include stringent security systems, such as keypad-entry doors and monitored surveillance cameras.
  • Baltimore’s overall cost of living index of 88.2 is much lower than the state and national averages of 113 and 100, respectively. The health cost index is lower than the national average too, which suggests Baltimore’s seniors spend less for similar levels of health care services than their peers across the country.
  • Baltimore has a continental climate, resulting in hot and humid summers, with temperatures averaging 88 degrees in July and 27 degrees in January. Precipitation levels are high, with rainfall typically 4 inches more than normal and snowfall at around 19 inches per year, which is below average. There are around 213 sunny days a year, which is more than the national median of 205.
  • With a health cost index of 97.1, Baltimore’s environment is considered healthier than normal. Air and water quality are a little below average but the city boasts an exceptionally high number of Medicare-registered physicians and an above-average Superfund index score of 91.

Paying for Memory Care in Baltimore

Note: Residential memory care is usually offered in assisted living facilities, and in general, memory care rates tend to be 20-30% higher than assisted living rates. No national database currently tracks memory care costs in the United States, so we’ve estimated the monthly memory care costs listed below by adding 25% to the rates listed in Genworth’s 2021 Cost of Care Survey.

Genworth reveals the average fee charged by the city’s assisted living facilities is $5,938 per month, which is around 5.3% more than the national median but 10.5% below the norm for Maryland.

The Cost of Memory Care in Nearby Cities

Baltimore is at the more affordable end of the spectrum for Maryland. With fees averaging $5,938, it’s below the state median of $6,560. It’s also less expensive than most other cities included in the 2021 Genworth survey, such as Cumberland ($6,560) and Salisbury ($6,225). Hagerstown is the only Maryland city with lower median fees, which, at $5,788, are still above the national average of $5,625, suggesting the state, in general, is costlier than most. However, Baltimore is an affordable alternative to the nation’s capital, where fees are approximately $7,435 per month.

$5938

Salisbury

$7435

Washington, D.C.

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Adult day health care is the most affordable option in Maryland, which, with fees averaging $1,927, is less than half the cost of the nearest alternatives — assisted living at $4,750, home care at $4,957 and home health care at $5,053. Memory care is costlier, at $5,938, although it is significantly more affordable than a semiprivate room in a nursing home, which costs approximately $10,798 per month.

$4957

Assisted Living Facility

$5938

Memory Care

$10798

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

Financial Assistance for Memory Care in Baltimore

In Baltimore, there are options for seniors who need financial assistance paying for Memory Care. For more information about other options, who qualifies, and how to apply, Memory Care in Maryland page.

More ways to pay for memory care in MD

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care

While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in Maryland page.

Free Memory Care Resources in Baltimore

Memory loss can be challenging for those with the condition and their loved ones, but they don’t have to cope alone, as there are several organizations in Baltimore dedicated to helping them. Those listed here provide support free of charge and can help seniors resolve issues with their care providers, support trials designed to improve our understanding of Alzheimer’s and get help through every stage of memory loss.

Resource

Contact

Service

Seniors residing in memory care communities who have unresolved issues with their care providers can contact the Long-term Care Ombudsman for assistance. Ombudsmen are volunteers who advocate for memory care residents, investigate complaints and pursue resolutions with providers through negotiation. They can also supply inspection reports to families looking for the best facility for their loved ones.

The Greater Maryland Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association manages an array of programs that inform seniors and their families about the condition and supports them through their journey. Its services include Living with Alzheimer's, a three-part program that starts from the point of diagnosis and moves on to planning for a future with the condition, developing strategies for daily tasks and dealing with safety issues. There's also a series of webinar videos for those who cannot attend face-to-face meetings.

The Johns Hopkins Alzheimer's Disease Center regularly conducts studies to try and understand the condition, identify its causes and find a cure. To do so, it needs volunteers willing to participate in research programs that cover varying lengths of time, with some simply involving observation, while others require clinical intervention trials. The center looks for seniors with mild memory loss issues and those diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Baltimore

Baltimore Memory Care Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Memory Care Facilities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Laws and Regulations for Memory Care in Maryland