8 Assisted Living Facilities near Windsor, VT
Also serving communities of Ascutney, Woodstock, North Springfield, Wilder.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Windsor area, with 3 in Windsor and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Windsor is $4,000 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,480.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Windsor. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Windsor 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Keene with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Windsor, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Windsor, VT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Windsor
The Birthplace of Vermont, Windsor is a town of over 2,100 that's rich in history. About 11% of its residents are aged 65 and older and may benefit from the services offered at assisted living facilities. There are two types of these facilities licensed by the state to provide supportive services and care for seniors: assisted living residences (ALRs) and residential care homes (RCHs). A total of 20 are available in Windsor and its surrounding communities
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Windsor
- Windsor has an array of community resources for seniors, including Senior Solutions, an organization that offers a variety of senior-focused resources, including information, health seminars, health and exercise programs and meal services, as well as a senior center.
- Low crime rates may offer seniors living in Windsor a sense of safety and security. Measured out of 100, with 100 representing high crime, the town's violent crime is rated 14.3, and property crime is rated 17.2, compared to national ratings of 22.7 and 35.4 in the same categories.
- Winters in Windsor are exceptionally cold compared to the rest of the state. Temperatures can drop below 7 degrees, compared to a seasonal average of 21.7 degrees across Vermont. These chilly conditions are accompanied by an average of 75 inches of snow which could limit the amount of time seniors are able to spend outdoors.
- Windsor's low overall cost of living gives seniors the opportunity to save on daily living expenses and put more toward the cost of an ALR. Based on the U.S. national average of 100, the town receives an index rating of 96.9, which is also lower than the Vermont state average of 101.
- While some exemptions may apply, the state of Vermont taxes all forms of retirement income, including Social Security retirement benefits and income, which could limit the financial resources Windsor seniors have available to cover the cost of an ALR.
- The Windsor area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Windsor
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Vermont
Assisted Living costs in Windsor start around $4,000 per month on average, which is on par with the average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Windsor and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Windsor
Seniors in Windsor can obtain financial support from two Medicaid programs to help cover the cost of services at an ALR. The Choices for Care 1115 Waiver program serves people in ALRs and RCHs who need care at the level of a nursing home, and the Assistive Community Care Services (ACCS) program caters to those who require more minimal assistance. An optional state supplement (OSS) is also available to help ALR residents.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Windsor
Windsor and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Windsor, please visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Windsor
Windsor-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Vermont are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Windsor
Review of Davis Home
Davis Home did not have an opening, but we did like it. It was nice. They seemed to take care of the residents. The rooms were nice, but some of them you have to share with other residents. They ha... Read more
Review of Cedar Hill Continuing Care Community
I moved my mother into Assisted Living here from another state 2 years ago. Although she was apprehensive about moving, she was allowed to bring both her small dog and her cat, and she loved it rig... Read more
Review of Cedar Hill Continuing Care Community
My relative will be moving into the Village part of Cedar Hill in assisted living. The place is extremely beautiful, the staff is wonderful, and the food is phenomenal. It's extremely clean, and so... Read more