7 Assisted Living Facilities near Rutland, VT
Also serving communities of Wallingford, Killington, Castleton.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Rutland area, with 6 in Rutland and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Rutland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Rutland 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Ticonderoga with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rutland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Rutland, VT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rutland
In the early 1800s, the city of Rutland, VT, got a boost from the discovery of really high-quality marble in the hills outside of town. The mines closed in the 1990s, but today the city is still big enough to host 15 assisted living communities for local seniors. These facilities are regulated by the Vermont Division of Licensing and Protection, which publishes guidelines and conducts inspections to ensure a high quality of care for aging citizens who need help with activities of daily living (ADLs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rutland
Rutland's weather is typical of New England, with single digit temperatures in winter to around 80 degrees Fahrenheit in summer. Rutland gets 45 inches of rain a year, mostly in summer, when high pollen counts can aggravate seniors' asthma. A regular 74 inches of snow can also create cold, dry conditions seniors with COPD might have issues with.
- Rutland has a relatively low cost of living in most areas, but some key expenses that affect seniors most tend to be higher than the prices paid nationwide. Groceries in Rutland can run to 5 percent higher cost than the national average, while the cost of health care is sometimes up to 14 percent higher.
- Vermont charges an effective tax rate on income that runs from 3.55 to 8.95 percent. SSI and most forms of retirement income are exempt, however, so seniors can mostly get by without the expense.
- Crime in Rutland has fallen over the years. It is now just a bit less than the typical national rates in most categories. Violent crime has always been rare here, though rates of property crime are still slightly higher than average for the nation.
- The Marble Valley Regional Transit District is just called "the Bus" by locals, and it carries passengers on a single regular route around the center of town. Seniors and riders with disabilities qualify for half off the regular fare, but they must present valid transit IDs at the time of payment.
- The Rutland area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Rutland Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rutland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Vermont
Assisted Living costs in Rutland start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rutland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rutland
Vermont seniors who are currently enrolled in Medicaid may qualify for the Assistive Community Care Services (ACCS) program, which helps low- and no-income seniors cover the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rutland
Rutland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rutland, please visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rutland
Rutland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Vermont are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Rutland, VT
Other Options in Rutland, VT
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Rutland
Review of Loretto Home
I was absolutely shocked by the care in this facility. The administrator was saccharine sweet during the initial meetings but afterward was just not available or disinterested in our concerns. Ther... Read more
Review of Loretto Home
My mother lived at this home for a short time. The facility is cleaner than some places we visited but is an old building with some peeling paint and some ceiling tiles stained, overall a good sc... Read more
Review of Meadows at East Mountain
Wonderful, caring staff. Large, comfortable rooms. My mom was a resident for four years. Nice facility Read more