Assisted Living Facilities in Orangeburg, SC
Named after the Prince of Orange of Great Britain in the 18th century, the city of Orangeburg is the seat of its namesake county and home to more than 13,000 residents. Although this city trends toward a younger population, 14.5% of the residents are aged 65 and older. Its inexpensive cost of living, sunny weather and robust local resources make it an attractive location for seniors.
Many of Orangeburg’s senior residents can enjoy a high quality of life in the city’s assisted living communities. In addition to room and board, these facilities provide assistance with daily activities, including bathing, grooming, laundry, medication reminders and light housekeeping. According to Genworth Financial’s Cost of Care Survey for 2020, the average cost for assisted living in Orangeburg is $2,200, making it one of the most affordable places for this type of care in the state and country.
More detailed information about the cost of assisted living in Orangeburg compared to other cities and types of care is available in this guide. Seniors and families can also benefit from the free resources listed in this guide.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Orangeburg, SC
1687 Longwood Dr., Orangeburg, SC, 29118
2306 Riverbank Drive, Orangeburg, SC, 29118
1000 Methodist Oaks Drive, Orangeburg, SC, 29116
See Pricing for
is a Caring Star Community
Earning a Caring Star means this community is among the best Senior Living commuities in America.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Orangeburg
Assisted living facilities in Orangeburg, which are legally recognized as Community Residential Care Facilities, are licensed and regulated by the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control. The exact text of the law is located in Regulation 61-84.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Orangeburg
- Orangeburg is one of the most affordable places for seniors to live in South Carolina. Overall living costs are 27% lower than the national average and 15.5% lower than the state average. These numbers are reflected in the city’s inexpensive assisted living costs, which are some of the lowest in the state.
- Affordable living costs in Orangeburg are complemented by South Carolina’s senior-friendly tax policies. Adults aged 65 and older receive a $15,000 deduction on all forms of income. All earnings from social security benefits are exempt from state tax, making it easier for lower-income residents to afford care.
- Compared to state and national averages, rates of violent and property crime are high in Orangeburg. Assisted living facilities in the city are able to give families peace of mind despite this situation by implementing security features. Many facilities have controlled access points, perimeter fencing and video surveillance.
- Despite getting 47 inches of rain per year, which is nine inches more than the national average, Orangeburg has a warm climate with an above-average number of sunny days per year, which is appealing to many active seniors. Snowfall in the area occurs once every few years in very small amounts.
- Orangeburg County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly States and Communities. This means that the county government for Orangeburg aims to improve the community so that the quality of life for seniors and residents of all ages is better.
- Seniors able to access public transportation can use the Downtown Orangeburg Circulator bus service to get around the city. There is also a Cross County Connection service that helps rural residents get to the city for medical appointments or other needs.
Paying for Assisted Living in Orangeburg
The average cost of assisted living in Orangeburg is $2,200 per month. The national average is $4,300 per month, and the average for South Carolina is $3,988 per month.
The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities
Orangeburg has very low assisted living costs when compared to nearby cities in South Carolina. Charleston has the second least expensive rates in the area at $3,600 per month, which is $1,400 per month more than Orangeburg. Columbia is just half an hour from Orangeburg and has an average monthly rate of $4,299. The prices in Myrtle Beach are even higher at an average of $4,620 per month. To the north, in Florence, the average cost for assisted living is $4,163 per month.
The United States
The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care
Assisted living is a very affordable option for seniors in Orangeburg when compared to other types of care. The estimated cost of adult day health care is less, but it does not include room and board. Homemaker services and home health aides cost $3,909 per month when accounting for 44 hours of help per week. Nursing homes offer a higher level of medical care and supervision than assisted living communities, so they cost quite a bit more: $6,083 per month for a semiprivate room and $6,388 per month for a private room.
Home Health Aide
Adult Day Health Care
Assisted Living Facility
Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)
Nursing Home Facility (private room)
Note: Care cost data for Orangeburg was not available, so data for the closest city, Sumter, was used instead.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Orangeburg
Orangeburg and the state of South Carolina provide public assistance for seniors who need help paying for an assisted living facility through the Medicaid State Plan. Eligibility for the program is open to seniors over the age of 60 who meet all Medicaid program criteria and those who are receiving the Optional State Supplement (OSS) to the federal Supplemental Security Income program (SSI). Family supplementation for private rooms is not allowed.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Orangeburg
City, county and state governments offer a wide range of free services that can improve the lives of seniors in Orangeburg. These programs provide everything from financial assistance to general information about long-term care options in the community.
Veterans and their dependents who need help paying for assisted living in Orangeburg can contact the Orangeburg County Department of Veterans Affairs to get assistance with their benefits. The office assists vets with claims filing, applications, care coordination and transportation to the Columbia VA Medical Center. Some veterans may be eligible for the Aid & Attendance program, which can pay for additional support services inside an assisted living community.
LSCOG operates the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program, which addresses reports of abuse, neglect and exploitation of seniors in assisted living facilities and other long-term care communities in Orangeburg. They also operate the local Area Agency on Aging, helping seniors with care management, coordination and delivery. LSCOG operates several other programs, including elderly legal services, Medicare counseling, medical transportation and general information and assistance.
Operated by the SC Department of Aging, the SC Vulnerable Adult Guardian ad Litem program advocates for the rights and interests of older adults who have been abused, exploited or neglected in Orangeburg assisted living facilities or other locations. This free program is made possible by volunteers who spend time with elderly clients in order to improve their quality of life.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Orangeburg
Orangeburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.