2 Assisted Living Facilities in Orangeburg, SC
The average cost of assisted living in Orangeburg is $2,952 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395. Cheaper nearby regions include Eutawville with an average starting cost of $2,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 16 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Orangeburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Orangeburg 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Orangeburg, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Orangeburg
Known as the Garden City for its natural beauty, Orangeburg is a city in South Carolina between Charleston and the capital city Columbia with approximately 17,000 seniors. To accommodate those who need help with daily living, there are two assisted living facilities in the area.
In Orangeburg and the rest of the state, assisted living facilities are referred to as community residential care facilities (CRCFs). These facilities are licensed by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, and they provide room and board and personal care to at least two residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Orangeburg
- The Orangeburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Orangeburg has an array of community resources for residents 65 and older, including the Orangeburg County Council on Aging, an organization that is dedicated to helping seniors stay productive, and one senior center.
- Social Security retirement benefits are tax exempt in Orangeburg. The state also provides a $15,000 deduction per person to seniors on all other types of retirement income. This may leave more money at the end of the year for savings or necessities.
- The Cross County Connection provides downtown transportation for seniors in Orangeburg. The bus operates two color-coded fixed routes with discounted fares. Buses run to all government agencies, regional medical centers, healthcare providers and many popular places to work and shop. All buses are ADA approved for those with disabilities.
- Seniors who enjoy the heat can take advantage of the hot and humid temperatures in the summer. July average highs are around 90 degrees while average winter lows are around 34. The city gets little to no snow each year and around 46 inches of rainfall.
- The cost of living index in Orangeburg is 76.2, which is lower than the national and state medians of 100 and 94, respectively. This makes the city an affordable option for seniors on a fixed income who are living in a CRCF.
Paying for Assisted Living in Orangeburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Orangeburg start around $2,952 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Orangeburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Orangeburg
Eligible seniors who need help paying for an assisted living facility in Orangeburg may receive assistance through the Medicaid state plan. To get help, seniors must receive the optional state supplement (OSS) to the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. The state limits room and board charges for those receiving assistance, and family supplementation is not permitted.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Orangeburg
Orangeburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Orangeburg, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Orangeburg
Orangeburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Orangeburg
Review of Longwood Plantation
My mother moved into assisted living at Longwood Plantation. I liked the cleanliness, the friendliness of the staff, and how they made us feel comfortable. They have a lot of features that caught m... Read more
Review of Morningside of Orangeburg
Morningside of Orangeburg looks like a nice place for someone who can take care of themselves and might need a little bit of assistance. Unfortunately, my dad needs a lot of assistance, so he's not... Read more
Review of Morningside of Orangeburg
Morningside has been a wonderful resource for my mother and my entire family. Moving my mother from her much beloved home was not easy for any of us, but everyone at Morningside was incredibly supp... Read more