11 Assisted Living Facilities near Florence, SC
Also serving communities of Pamplico.
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Florence area, with 7 in Florence and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Florence is $2,595 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Florence. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Florence 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hartsville with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Florence find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Florence, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Florence, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Florence
A wealth of arts and culture and proximity to Myrtle Beach helped propel Florence to the number three spot on Money’s list of 10 Best Places for Single Seniors to Retire. With 15.8 percent of the city’s current population aged 65 years or older, there is a bustling senior scene in Florence.
There are 15 assisted living facilities in the Florence area for seniors who are mostly independent but who require moderate assistance with daily tasks. These long-term care residences, known throughout the state as community residential care facilities (CRCFs), are licensed by South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control, Division of Health Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Florence
- Florence offers seniors an affordable place to live, with an overall cost of living 11 points lower than the national average.
- Seniors wary of long, cold winters will likely appreciate Florence’s January low of 33 degrees Fahrenheit and the city’s solitary inch of snow per year, but winters are hot and humid, making it more difficult to get out and about comfortably.
- The violent crime rate in Florence is more than double that of South Carolina as a whole. Locals have a one in 13 chance of being the victim of a property-based or violent crime, making Florence one of the more dangerous places for seniors to live.
- The Pee Dee Regional Transportation Authority (PDRTA) connects Florence to cities such as Lake City, Darlington, Scranton and even Myrtle Beach across Darlington, Florence and Marion counties. Senior citizens aged 65 or older may purchase half-price tickets, and every vehicle in the PDRTA is wheelchair accessible.
- The Florence area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carolinas Hospital System and McLeod Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Florence has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Citizens Association in Florence County, which offers services such as group dining and crisis management, as well as at least two senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Florence
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Florence start around $2,595 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Florence and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Florence
South Carolina has few state-sponsored options aimed at low-income seniors looking for financial assistance for long-term care. For seniors interested in assisted living, Medicaid offers the Community Long Term Care (CLTC) waiver, a program overseen by the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services that helps residents facing nursing home placement explore alternative options for personal care, medical care and living arrangements.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Florence
Florence and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Florence, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Florence
Florence-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Florence, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Florence
Review of Florence Place
We have moved my dad into Florence Place. It's been good so far. We can't go in to see anybody because of COVID, but getting him checked in was good, and the people being good to him. So far, so go... Read more
Review of Florence Presbyterian Community
The staff is very friendly and always smiling and asking if they can do anything for you or your loved one. I can sleep at night now knowing my dad is well taken care of and wants for nothing. I ... Read more
Review of Elmcroft of Florence - South Carolina
Elmcroft of Florence South Carolina was a very beautiful facility. The staff was very courteous, professional, and knowledgeable. The rooms were pretty, it was very clean, and I would have placed m... Read more