The Carolinian

Reviews of The Carolinian

Assisted Living Reviews for The Carolinian

April 23, 2013

By John35

I moved my dad into The Carolinian last January. They bring in his meals and he doesn't have any complaints at this time. They only have a continental breakfast, not a full breakfast. But of course, when people get into that age as my dad, they don't really like a full breakfast. The facility is getting some improvements done but the infrastructure has been there for a while. When my wife went into the elevator, she felt that it would fall apart. My dad is in the independent living facility so there's not much that the institution can give you. If he doesn't take his medication for example, he would be dizzy and dementia would kick in. He also had a bad fall a month ago and no certified aide or nurse was able to move him or take him to an emergency room. They actually had to call 911. My dad laid on the floor for a while, until one of the CNAs came up. She said she wasn't able to move him because she isn't a nurse so she had to call the staff downstairs and they had to call 911. That was time consuming. That happened around 10 at night. The staff was there, the people were walking back and forth, and there were security checks; but after 9 or 10 o'clock at night, the staff became limited. I understand that, but there was no one around to check or double check. My dad could've been laying out there until security came around. It was my niece, who went to visit at the time, that found her grandpa laying on the floor.

September 24, 2012

By Michael Smith1

The Carolinian retirement community was considered for my wife's aging grandfather who lives alone after the lost of his own wife of 60 years. He has been doing rather well handling the single life, but recent medical issues are making it increasingly more difficult. We started looking at area retirement and assisted living communities and found the Carolinian close-by. The apartments were very well designed and there were several different floor plan options to choose from. For one monthly fee they offered all utilities, cable television, housekeeping and linen services and an emergency call out system that would give him an instant connection to help 24/7. Although you hope and pray he'd never need it, it's nice to know it is there. The structures were a little older than I expected and seemed a bit run down. One of the key selling points is that all maintenance is performed by competent staff, yet, we saw several signs of neglect that ultimately caused us to keep looking. I strongly recommend you begin your search long before it is needed. Convincing loved ones that they need the security of a community and that they will have to give up the home and life they have created is difficult. Health can decline rapidly, so it is good to go and visit properties when you aren't pressured to make a fast decision. Other than the few plumbing issues a slight signs of wear-and-tear, the facility was acceptable. They provide two good meals each day along with a breakfast buffet of sorts. The residents we saw seemed very happy, though somewhat distant. The staff was friendly and made us feel welcome. They help schedule transportation for trips to the grocery store, doctor's office, and other errands. The library was a nice touch, but last Christmas we bought Pops a Kindle and he actually prefers e-books. All-in-all I rated this facility a three out of five. It is economical and has many positives, but I personally would not enjoy staying there.

About The Carolinian

The Carolinian is a senior living provider in Florence, South Carolina that offers residents Assisted Living. Contact The Carolinian for more details on services and rates.

Map of The Carolinian