7 Assisted Living Facilities near Bismarck, ND
Also serving communities of Mcclusky.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Bismarck area, with 5 in Bismarck and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bismarck. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bismarck 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bismarck, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Bismarck, ND
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bismarck
Bismarck, North Dakota is the state’s capital city and is second only to Fargo in terms of population. Three out of every 10 of the city’s 71,167 residents in the region is over age 55. The North Dakota Department of Human Services oversees licensing for the eight assisted living facilities available to the community. The agency also ensures that the ALFs are meeting stipulations established by the Department of Health. Each assisted living facility is supposed to provide or coordinate individualized support services and may provide health services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bismarck
- Seniors might not find Bismarck’s climate ideal, as its overall Sperling’s Comfort Index is 37 out of 100 (the national average is 54). Rainfall is below average, but the average of 50 inches of snow per year and temperatures that dip into the lower single digits might prove troublesome. On the bright side, the city’s number of sunny days is comparable to the rest of the country.
- Expect to pay 16.6 percent more to live in Bismarck compared to the national average. Housing is 44 percent higher than average. Health also exceeds the national average by 12 percent which may be an additional concern for seniors who need medical care, doctor’s visits and prescriptions.
- Seniors can feel relatively confident about physical safety in Bismarck, as the rate of violent crime is lower than average by 7.4 percent. Property crime is better than the national rate by just 1 percent.
- Bismarck provides seniors with activities and venues such as bike/walking trails, the Bismarck Public Library, Dakota Zoo, Fort Lincoln and the Gateway to Science. There are also golf courses and sports teams, like the Bismarck Larks.
- Seniors can travel around Bismarck on the Capital Area Transit bus service. This service provides public, fixed routes. But seniors also can use the Bis-Man Transit paratransit system. This is a curb-to-curb demand service for those over age 70 and the disabled. Bismarck also has an airport.
- Bismarck is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sanford Medical Center and CHI St. Alexius Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bismarck
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Bismarck start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bismarck and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bismarck
North Dakota’s Waiver for Home and Community Based Services and State Plan Personal Care can offer financial relief for seniors in ALFs in Bismarck. Medicaid also can be used for personal care services (not room and board) and additional help can be found with the Service Payments for the Elderly and Disabled program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bismarck
Bismarck and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bismarck, please visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bismarck
Bismarck-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Bismarck, ND
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bismarck
Review of Valley View Heights
Valley View Heights is fine, and they provide what my relative needs. The way it's laid out, they can do a lot of walking and visiting, there's a craft room, bingo, there's a church in the communit... Read more
Review of Edgewood on Dominion in Bismarck
I am staying at Edwood Vista in a one-bedroom apartment. The cost is a little high, but there is nothing much I can do about that. The staff is good. The dining room is made for smaller apartments,... Read more
Review of Edgewood on Dominion in Bismarck
I thought Edgewood Vista was very nice. They had an opening if I had decided to go ahead and put Dad in there. It was mostly women in the memory care, the locked-down area that he would have been i... Read more