The 5 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Aberdeen, SD for 2023
The average cost of assisted living in Aberdeen is $4,240 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,870.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Aberdeen, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Aberdeen, SD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Aberdeen
Once home to the intersection of nine converging railroads, Aberdeen, known as Hub City, is located in northeastern South Dakota. The city is home to more than 28,500 residents, 16% of whom are aged 65 and older. In fact, Aberdeen was recognized multiple times by CNNMoney as one of the 25 best places to retire in America.
To serve this demographic there are 14 facilities, known in Aberdeen and across South Dakota as assisted living centers, that offer seniors assistance with activities of daily living. These facilities are licensed by the South Dakota Department of Health, Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure and Certification.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Aberdeen
- Compared to other metropolitan areas, Aberdeen is quite affordable for seniors. At 78.6, the overall cost of living is lower than the U.S. national average of 100 and South Dakota state average of 88.3.
- Not only can seniors in Aberdeen save on daily living costs, there is no income tax in South Dakota, meaning seniors do not have to pay tax on their Social Security, pensions or other forms of retirement income.
- Despite its pleasant summers, Aberdeen is known to experience harsh winters, which some seniors may find challenging. Temperatures can drop as low as 1 degree and the area sees an average annual snowfall of 38 inches.
- Aberdeen is considered a safe community for residents of all ages. On a scale to 100, Aberdeen scores a 16.3 for violent crime, which is lower than the U.S. national average of 22.7. At 33, property crime rates also fall below the national average of 35.4.
- Aberdeen is home to a wide variety of local restaurants, cultural attractions and recreational activities. Seniors can enjoy performances at the historic Capitol Theater, tour the Dacotah Prairie Museum or spend the afternoon with their grandchildren at the ever-popular Storybook Land.
- Aberdeen has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Aberdeen Area Senior Center, an organization operated by the United way that provides seniors with recreation, education, rehabilitation and support services, including cards, exercise classes, health seminars, line dancing and day trips.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.