2 Assisted Living Facilities in Lamar, MO
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lamar, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Lamar, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lamar
Lamar, Missouri, is a small town famous as the birthplace of U.S. president Harry S. Tubman. The town is part of Barton County, which has 11,798 residents, 20.5% percent of whom are aged 65 years and older. Lamar's senior citizens who need help with activities of daily living can choose between the area's two assisted living facilities.
In Lamar, as in the rest of Missouri, assisted living facilities are officially known as Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) and are overseen by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lamar
- The Lamar area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Cox Barton County Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Lamar is very affordable for seniors on a budget, with an overall cost of living that is 18.8% lower than the national average and 11.3% below the state average. Out of all the spending sectors, seniors can expect to pay the most for healthcare and the least for housing.
- Seniors who enjoy the sun will appreciate that Lamar sees more sunny days per year than the national average. The town also receives much less snow than elsewhere in the country with an average of 12 inches per year.
- Property crime in Lamar is much higher than the national average with a score of 47.9 out of 100, where 1 indicates the safest possible environment. Violent crime, on the other hand, is relatively low, with a score of 19.4 out of 100. Seniors should talk to their care providers about the best ways to stay safe while in assisted living.
- Lamar seniors can take advantage of some of the tax benefits Missouri offers to help maximize retirement wealth. Social Security and public pension income are only partially taxed, but private pensions and withdrawals from retirement accounts are taxed at the full rate.
- Seniors who enjoy the outdoors will find that Lamar has ample natural attractions to explore, such as dedicated fishing spots and RV campgrounds. The town is also home to the Lamar Aquatic Park and Indoor Pool Facility.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lamar
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Lamar start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lamar and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lamar
Lamar seniors on Medicaid can look into the abundant financial services the state offers to help pay for assisted living. One such option is the Aged and Disability Waiver, which is administered by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lamar
Lamar and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lamar, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lamar
Lamar-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.