2 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Scott, KS
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Scott is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Scott, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Scott
Just an hour from Kansas City, Fort Scott offers a relaxing atmosphere in a historical setting. Of its nearly 7,800 residents, around 19% are aged 65 and older, and some may require help with basic daily tasks.
Throughout Kansas, seniors can access these support services at an adult care home (ACH), which are licensed and governed by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services and include both assisted living facilities (ALFs) and residential health care facilities. There are two ACHs for seniors to choose from in Fort Scott.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Scott
- Compared to the U.S. national average of 100, the cost of living in Fort Scott is much lower at a rating of 74.5, which could help lower-income seniors put more money toward the cost of an ACH.
- Crime rates in Fort Scott are quite high compared to both national and regional averages. Out of 100, the city receives 33.6 for violent crime and 60.3 for property crime, while U.S. averages are only 22.7 and 35.4 in the same categories, respectively. While most facilities have safety measures in place, seniors may want to consider reviewing its security policy.
- With its deep historical roots, Fort Scott offers a variety of cultural destinations and local attractions. Seniors can explore the shops and restaurants of historic downtown, catch a game at the La Roche Baseball Complex or visit the Fort Scott National Historic Site.
- Fort Scott does not have its own dedicated fixed-route public transportation service, which could make it challenging for some seniors to run errands and get to appointments. SEK-CAP does offer general public transportation service in the Fort Scott area, but this service is only available from Monday to Friday during business hours.
- Seniors in Fort Scott can enjoy plenty of time outdoors with pleasant year-round weather. Though the area can see some snow and chilly temperatures, winters are relatively mild. Summer temperatures can climb to the 90s, and the area expects to see an average of 210 sunny days each year.
- Fort Scott has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospitals located in Iola and Nevada, Missouri.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Scott
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Fort Scott start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Scott and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Scott
Through the state's KanCare Medicaid waiver programs, seniors in Fort Scott have access to financial aid to help cover the cost of services in an ALF, and sometimes the entire cost of living. Seniors can also take advantage of the state's Frail Elderly (FE) waiver program to further offset assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Scott
Fort Scott and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Scott, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Scott
Fort Scott-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.