2 Assisted Living Facilities in Chanute, KS
Also serving communities of Parsons.
The average cost of assisted living in Chanute is $3,500 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Independence with an average starting cost of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Chanute. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Chanute 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Burlington with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Chanute, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chanute
Named after railroad engineer and aviation pioneer Octave Chanute, the city of Chanute is located in Neosho County, Kansas. Of its more than 9,000 residents, roughly 20% are aged 65 and older and may need help with daily living tasks.
In Chanute, and across all of Kansas, communities that provide this type of care are referred to as adult care homes (ACHs). Both assisted living facilities (ALFs) and residential health care facilities are classified as ACHs, and are licensed and governed by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services. There are currently two facilities available locally that provide these services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chanute
- The overall cost of living in Chanute is lower than both statewide and national averages, which may make it a good choice for seniors on a tight budget. It receives an index rating of 71, compared to the averages of 91 across Kansas and 100 on a national scale.
- While violent crime rates are similar to statewide and national rates, the rate of property crime in Chanute is significantly higher. Out of 100, with 100 representing high crime, the city scores 51.4, compared to 35.4 nationally, something seniors may want to consider.
- Winters in Chanute are quite mild; however, the hot and muggy summer weather may be uncomfortable for some seniors.
- Chanute has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospitals located in Parsons and Neodesha.
- To help seniors navigate the city, SEK-CAP offers general transportation services to residents of Southeast Kansas, across Crawford, Montgomery and Neosho County. While there is a requested donation, service is never denied for lack of payment.
- Chanute has an array of community resources for seniors, including Kansas Area Agency on Aging, an organization that not only provides tools and information, a nutrition program and a Silver Haired legislature comprised entirely of adults aged 60 and up who advocate specifically for Kansas' aging population, as well as a senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Chanute
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Chanute start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chanute and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chanute
In Chanute, and throughout the state of Kansas, financial assistance for care in an ALF is available through KanCare, part of the state's Medicaid waiver programs. The Frail Elderly (FE) waiver can also help to supplement the cost of certain care services to reduce the financial burden assisted living services can place on seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chanute
Chanute and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Chanute, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chanute
Chanute-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Chanute
Review of Guest Home Estates III
It is a very nice facility and would trust myself to the employees of this nursing home. I do not think that I have been treated with more respect by total strangers in my life. You walk in and are... Read more
Review of Guest Home Estates III
The staff is incredible. Very loving, caring, personable and yet totally professional. The facility itself is warm and "homey", very clean (no smells so prevalent in so many facilities) located in... Read more