2 Assisted Living Facilities in Pittsburg, KS
Also serving communities of Girard, Oswego.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Pittsburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Pittsburg 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Carthage with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pittsburg, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pittsburg
There are an abundance of things to do in Pittsburg, Kansas, including strolling or biking through one of the 13 parks located throughout the city, visiting museums or the local library, playing a round of golf at the local course or picking up some fresh produce from the farmer’s market, all of which might be of interest to the city’s 2,365 seniors. Seniors who require extra help with the aspects of daily living have two assisted living facilities to choose from within the city limits.
Assisted living facilities and residential health care facilities in Pittsburg and throughout Kansas are governed by The Secretary of Aging and Disability Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pittsburg
- Pittsburg has a violent crime rating of 27.1 and a property crime rating of 71.8, both significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. Seniors may want to keep track of their surroundings when going out in the city.
- The cost of living in Pittsburg is low, which may make the area more attractive to seniors with restrictive budgets. The city’s cost of living is 73, considerably lower than the national average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay less for healthcare, transportation and groceries.
- The Pittsburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Freeman Heart & Vascular Institute, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Pittsburg has a rank of 63 on a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality. Although this is several points higher than the national average of 58, seniors with diabetes, cardiovascular disease or asthma may want to consult with a doctor before moving to the area.
- Kansas only partially taxes Social Security benefits, which might help Pittsburg seniors contribute more money toward their facility expenses.
- Seniors in Pittsburg enjoy warm summers where the highs climb to 90 degrees and cold winters where temperatures rarely drop below 23. Although the city gets 46 inches of rain each year, it only receives 12 inches of snow annually, which might be good news for seniors with mobility issues. Sperling’s Comfort Index gives the city a score of 48 out of 100 for general comfort and humidity ratings, which suggests that the area may not be ideal for seniors with joint pains or arthritis.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pittsburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Pittsburg start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pittsburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pittsburg
Seniors in Pittsburg who need help paying for assisted living expenses may qualify for KanCare, the Medicaid program in Kansas. For seniors who need more assistance, the HCBS offers a Frail Elderly waiver that may help cover assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pittsburg
Pittsburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pittsburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pittsburg
Pittsburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Pittsburg
Review of The Cottages of Carrington Place
The entire staff was very caring and polite. The facilities were very clean and neat and welcoming. The individual houses are very accessible and just the right size for an older couple. I like the... Read more
Review of The Cottages of Carrington Place
Mother tells me alll the time how happy she is there and how homey and safe she feels. She loves the staff and is always telling me something nice someone has done for her. I call daily so she can... Read more
Review of Guest Home Estates of Pittsburg
I visited this facility and was surprised that the residents seemed very happy. The residents were mostly capable of maintaining their daily lives outside the facility but wanted some assistance. T... Read more