2 Assisted Living Facilities in Doniphan, MO
The average cost of assisted living in Doniphan is $2,075 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Doniphan. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Doniphan 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Poplar Bluff with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Doniphan, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Doniphan
Doniphan, Missouri, is home to the Current River Heritage Museum and the Tom Kennon Blacksmith Shop and Museum, both of which may be of interest to the city’s 454 seniors. Seniors who require assistance with their personal care needs can find support in one of the two assisted living facilities located within city limits. In Doniphan, and throughout Missouri, these facilities are also called residential care facilities and are licensed by the Missouri Department of Health, Division of Regulation and Licensure.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Doniphan
- Missouri fully taxes retirement savings account income and private pensions, and partially taxes Social Security benefits and public pensions, something that could put a strain on Doniphan seniors with already restrictive budgets.
- The Doniphan area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ripley County Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The overall cost of living in Doniphan is 79.5, lower than both the Missouri average of 92.5 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors can expect to pay less for transportation in the city, but groceries and healthcare are higher than the average at 101.7 and 113.9, respectively. This is something that seniors with chronic illnesses may want to keep in mind.
Crime rates are high in Doniphan, which may be a deterrent for safety-conscious seniors and their families. The city has a violent crime rate of 83.8 and a property crime rate of 95.3, both significantly higher than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Doniphan’s air quality has a rating of 63 on a 100-point scale where higher numbers equate to better air quality, five points higher than the national average of 58. Seniors with respiratory illnesses may find that they breathe easier in this city than in others in the state or country.
- Ripley County Transit offers the MO Rides transportation service for seniors through Medicaid for non-emergency errands. This service is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. On-demand service is available, however, long-distance trips within a 250-mile radius of Doniphan must be booked in advance. Senior transportation is also provided by the Council on Aging for medical appointments and other errands with local trips costing $7.00 and out-of-town trips costing $25.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Doniphan
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Doniphan start around $2,075 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Doniphan and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Doniphan
Doniphan seniors who require help with assisted living costs may be able to get assistance through one of the three waivers offered by the Missouri Medicaid system, including the Aged and Disability waiver, the State Plan Personal Care option, or the Supplemental Nursing Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Doniphan
Doniphan and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Doniphan, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Doniphan
Doniphan-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Doniphan
Review of The Colonial Home
The Colonial Home's director was very nice, answered all my questions, and obviously loved her work. The people there seemed to be pretty happy. It is a little shabby so it needs a little maintenan... Read more
Review of Walnut Street Assisted Living
Walnut Street's staff seemed to be annoyed that I was there. He was trying to do laundry and apparently he wasnt notified that I was coming. It felt more custodial. It didnt feel like people were... Read more
Review of The Colonial Home
My sisters are living in The Colonial Home. It's beautiful and clean, and the dining room has wonderful meals. I would feel comfortable sitting down with them and eating. The girls that work there ... Read more