2 Assisted Living Facilities in New London, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New London, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New London
New London is a small community of just 1,300 residents in the central region of Minnesota, about 100 miles west of Minneapolis. This city has a crime rate that is lower than regional, state and national averages, which may make it a good option for seniors who are seeking out a safe community to enjoy their retirement years.
In New London, seniors, who make up nearly a quarter of the population, have one assisted living facility to choose from. In this region, assisted living facilities aren't recognized as a distinct type of facility but are instead classified as housing with services establishments. They're required to register annually with the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New London
- In New London, retirees are partially taxed on their Social Security benefits, and pensions and withdrawals from retirement accounts are taxed as regular income at the state level. The state's tax laws should be taken into consideration as seniors are determining their assisted living budget.
- On a 100-point scale, the air quality in New London is rated 86, indicating that there's a relatively low level of hazardous environmental pollutants. This may appeal to seniors who have health conditions that are worsened by air pollution.
- The overall cost of living in New London is about 6% below the national average and health care expenses are about 12% lower. This city may be an affordable option for seniors with limited resources.
- The New London area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness as the nearest major hospital is located in Willmar.
- New London has a variety of cultural amenities for seniors to enjoy, including the Little Theatre, a locally owned historic theatre that provides affordable live entertainment, such as plays, concerts and musical variety shows.
- New London's weather tends to be a little warmer than Minnesota as a whole, with winter temperatures having lows of 2 degrees and summer highs of 83 degrees. Seniors may want to ensure that the assisted living facility they choose offers plenty of indoor activities during the winter.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New London
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in New London start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New London and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New London
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New London
New London and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New London, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New London
New London-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.