7 Assisted Living Facilities near Chisholm, MN
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Chisholm area, with 2 in Chisholm and 5 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 8 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Chisholm. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Chisholm 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Chisholm, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Chisholm, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chisholm
Chisholm is a town in the Mesabi Iron Range of Minnesota. The town is home to around 5,000 people, 18 percent of whom are over age 65. There are two assisted living facilities in Chisholm, and another 12 in nearby communities, including Hibbing, Virginia and Eveleth.
The Home Care and Assisted Living Program oversees the licensing and monitoring of assisted living facilities in Minnesota. In Minnesota, assisted living is a service provided to people who live in housing with services establishments which are registered with the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chisholm
- Chisholm is a relatively safe town. The violent crime rate is less than one per 1,000 residents, compared to Minnesota's overall rate of 2.43 crimes per 1,000 people. Property crime is also low, with a rate of 11.13, compared to Minnesota's rate of 21.33. Chisholm is safer than 59 percent of US cities.
- The cost of living in Chisholm is almost 25 percent lower than the U.S. average. Seniors will find that the cost of groceries, transport and health care are all significantly less than the state average.
- The Chisholm area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Hibbing.
- Public transport in Chisholm is offered by Arrowhead Transit. All buses have a wheelchair lift, and Arrowhead has a door-to-door service, meaning seniors don't have to make their own way to bus stops.
- Minnesota taxes all forms of retirement income, including Social Security, pensions and income from retirement funds. Additionally, sales taxes are higher than average, which can make it difficult for seniors on a fixed income to stretch their budget.
- Chisholm has a very cold climate, with lows in January averaging -2 degrees Fahrenheit. The town averages 60 inches of snow each year, and only 182 days of sun, making it difficult for seniors who enjoy the outdoors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Chisholm
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Chisholm start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chisholm and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chisholm
Residents of assisted living facilities in Chisholm may be eligible for financial assistance through the Elderly Waiver. Additionally, Social Security Income recipients may be able to access the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chisholm
Chisholm and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Chisholm, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chisholm
Chisholm-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.