2 Assisted Living Facilities in Arkansas City, KS
The average cost of assisted living in Arkansas City is $2,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Ponca City with an average starting cost of $2,437.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Arkansas City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Arkansas City 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Ponca City with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Arkansas City, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Arkansas City, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Arkansas City
Arkansas City is located where the Walnut and Arkansas Rivers meet in the southwestern part of Cowley County. To pronounce the city’s name correctly, say “Are Kansas.” About 16.3% of the city’s population of approximately 12,500 is aged 65 and older. When seniors have a need for supervised care and personal care, they have two assisted living facilities in Arkansas City to choose from.
The Arkansas City facilities, like those in the entire state of Kansas, are governed by the Department for Aging and Disability Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Arkansas City
- With 224 sunny days on average, Arkansas City may be a good choice for some seniors. However, the July high of 91 degrees and excessive humidity may be hard for others to handle. Sperling’s Comfort Index score for the city is a low 50 out of 100. Winters bring 7 inches of snow and an average low in January of 22 degrees.
- The Arkansas City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including South Central Kansas Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- With both violent and property crime rates higher in Arkansas City than the national average, seniors and their families may have cause for concern. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being high violent crime, Arkansas City ranks 26.5. That's a bit higher than the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime here is significantly higher, with Arkansas City scoring 55.8 compared to the U.S. average of 35.4.
- Arkansas City has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Citizens Center, an organization that provides meal programs and a variety of social, physical, emotional and educational programs to foster independence and encourage community involvement.
- While the overall cost of living in Arkansas City is about 29% lower than the national average, almost that entire savings is due to extremely low housing costs. Seniors will pay about as much for groceries, healthcare and utilities here as they would elsewhere in the country.
- Kiplinger notes that Kansas has the eighth-highest combined state and local sales tax rate in the United States. Although Social Security retirement benefits are not taxed at the state level, distributions from 401(k) plans, out-of-state pensions and individual retirement accounts are fully taxed for residents of Arkansas City.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Arkansas City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Arkansas City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Arkansas City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Arkansas City
Seniors living in Arkansas City may be eligible for help with paying for assisted living through Kansas’ Medicaid Frail Elderly (FE) waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Arkansas City
Arkansas City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Arkansas City, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Arkansas City
Arkansas City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Arkansas City
Review of Alderbrook Village Assisted Living
My mom is here. It was the closest one that’s why we chose it. I've been really pleased with everything about them. The place is really clean and people were very nice and very helpful. My mom seem... Read more