2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sylvania, GA
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sylvania, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sylvania, GA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sylvania
Approximately an hour from the Atlantic Coast, Sylvania is a small city with a senior population of around 2,500. The quaint Main Street square and friendly atmosphere provide a welcoming environment for retirees.
The city has two assisted living facilities for seniors who require room and board and who need help with daily living tasks. Also referred to as Assisted Living Communities (ALCs), these facilities are home to four or more seniors, and they provide meals, activities, medication administration and grooming. They are regulated by the Georgia Department of Community Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sylvania
- Summers in Sylvania can be extremely hot and oppressive with average July highs around 92 degrees. This may be an issue for seniors who have respiratory illnesses. Winters are short and cold with average January lows around 36. The area rarely gets any snow.
- Seniors paying for assisted living in Sylvania may find it easy to stay within their budget due to the cost of living index of 75.9. This is considerably lower than the state and the national average of 100.
- The overall rate of crime in Sylvania is 45 percent higher than the national average. Although most assisted living facilities have appropriate security measures in place to keep resident seniors safe. Seniors should inquire about the security policies and procedures in place in their ALC.
- The Sylvania area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Optim Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- For rides to and from medical appointments, senior centers and other errands, the Screven County Department of Transportation provides rides for seniors at discounted prices or for free.
- Georgia and the city of Sylvania are tax-friendly places for seniors to retire. The state provides a $65,000 per person exemption for all types of retirement income and doesn’t tax Social Security benefits.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sylvania
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Georgia
Assisted Living costs in Sylvania start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sylvania and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sylvania
Low-income seniors and those who receive Social Security Income benefits may be eligible for financial assistance to pay for an assisted living community in Sylvania. There are two different waivers: the Community Care Services Program (CCSP) and the Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE). Neither of these waivers pays for private rooms, but family supplementation is permitted.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sylvania
Sylvania and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sylvania, please visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sylvania
Sylvania-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.