Westminster Village AZ

Reviews of Westminster Village AZ

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for Westminster Village AZ

October 13, 2011

By 2 distant

My mother chose this facility and her choice proved to be a good one. For some years she had her own apartment. Then, when her sight became poor and she had other physical disabilities, she moved into the nursing facility. She had dreaded this move and resisted it. I was apprehensive also, but knew she needed the help in daily living and could no longer safely live in her own apartment.After a year, I saw with relief that she had made the adjustment to living in the nursing facility. A burden had been lifted from her. She no longer had to try to do necessary tasks of which she was not capable. She was happier and less worried. This lifted a burden of concern from me also. I was grateful for the excellent care she was receiving; for the professionalism of the nurses.Like others, my mother wanted to be independent. She sometimes complained about being dependent. But she knew she needed help. There were a lot of activities for her to choose from. But sometimes she would complain that she was bored. I felt she could have taken advantage of some things that would have helped her keep interested, such as listening to talking books. But she didn't. That's the way it goes. She lived into her 90's in remarkably good health.Overall, this facility provided very good care to her in her later years.

September 30, 2011

By amieescotts0101

Other

I have been visiting the residents in this facility for a couple of years now and I like that I haven't noticed a high turn over rate with either the staff or the residents. The residents, for the most part, have been here for quite some time, and I have only seen a few instances where residents move in to the facility and the move out within 6 months, but the reason for them moving out is usually for reasons unrelated to the facility or the staff. The residents I see every time I visit always have something to tell me about the facility either positive and negative, I like that they feel comfortable enough to tell me about things that happen in the facility. I am always curious about what happens in the facilities when it's just the staff and the residents, so I often try to make my visits to the facility unannounced and I can say that out of all of my "surprise" visits to Westminster, I have never walked in on a chaotic situation, or serious staff/resident altercations, things like that. Everything, mostly, seems to be ran smoothly. The facility is located in a nice area, a safe area. The inside of the building is usually clean and everything is designed nicely, and it feels more like a resort or hotel than an institutional setting, which adds to the comfort. I can see that the staff really try hard to make the facility feel like home for the residents. They seem to provide excellent care and I always notice them sitting with the residents, walking with them, spending time with them. They really seem to care about the well being of the residents. Another great factor is that the facility is a not-for-profit community so there is no one making money off of the residents and every penny that is earned goes back into the community for resident services. So there is absolutely no one taking advantage of the residents in any way. I have had residents and there families tell me that they chose the community because of this. Here, in at least this facility, it seems like it's not what the residents can do for them, but instead they do everything for the residents. It makes choosing Westminster as a home that much easier of a decision. However, they do charge a very high entrance fee, and while most facilities charge an entrance or community fee, the fee for this facility is about 30 times higher than others. During my last visit, I overheard a staff member in one of the common areas reading a book to one of the residents, she was very animated in her reading so I could tell that she was happy to read to the resident and not doing it just because she had to. The resident seemed to be enjoying himself very much. He seemed really engrossed in the book, and since he was unable to read on his own, I am so thankful that the staff member not only took on the task, but she did it in a very friendly way, she didn't make the resident feel at all discouraged for not being able to read the book, but instead she was encouraging and she made the book interesting and exciting to listen to. The residents seem to enjoy the company of the staff very much. The residents apartments are bigger than those of most facilities. The living room is very spacious and the layouts depending on apartment are very open, so there's a lot of room to move around in. I like that it doesn't feel all stuffy or like you're cramped in. The bedrooms are nicely designed and there are huge walk-in closets which is always great for extra storage. There are very cute kitchenettes and if the resident has family visiting or they just don't feel like going to the dining room, they can order take out from the kitchen instead. They can order the kinds of foods that are take-out friendly, such as pizza and whole rotisserie chicken. It can be a relaxing change of pace after a busy day. There are many dining options at Westminster Village, they have everything from casual to fine dining, and many of the residents have told me that I need to try the Champagne Brunch offered on Sundays, they all say that the food is delicious and that the brunches are always so nicely put together. While I have not been to the brunch yet, I have eaten there on the weekdays and the food is by far the greatest I have had in a facility thus far, and believe me, I have eaten at plenty! I hope that caregivers choose to tour Westminster Village and I hope that they see all of its potential.

August 18, 2011

By AzDesert1

This facility is really nice from inside to outside. I went to visit a friend on the second day she moved in this facility. The moment I walked through the front doors I was impressed with how the nice the staff members were and how the nice building looked. The inside of the building was really nice with a lot of open space, so if my friend wanted her guest to meet her within the front entrance she could. The front entrance had a very elegant look and the area was really pleasant and quiet. Next, as I walked to her room I passed by the dinning area, which appear to be really fancy as if they were eating each day at a upscale restaurant. As I walked through the hallways the people that lived within this community were really nice and friendly as well. My friend had a really nice smaller apartment, which was the perfect size for her because she lived alone. Her room was very clean and I loved the smell, she told me that the smell came from the cleaning material that housekeeping used. Therefore, I stayed and visited and she told me many great things about this facility. When it was lunch time, I thought that it was really nice that she a choice to order from her room or go to the dinning hall. As for safety, I think this facility was very safe because if she needed help she buzz or call someone. And she told me throughout the day staff members come to check to make sure she is alright. After all, I really enjoyed my visit with my friend as well as seeing smiling faces.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (7) See fewer reviews

Services and Amenities of Westminster Village AZ

About Westminster Village AZ

Refund Plans: 60% of Entrance Fee; Declining Balance over 5 yrs. (Price 50% of Entrance Fee). Assisted Living and Nursing Care provided.

Map of Westminster Village AZ