Rose Schnitzer Manor

Reviews of Rose Schnitzer Manor

Assisted Living Reviews for Rose Schnitzer Manor

April 09, 2013

By Brian7

I was researching some communities in Portland and I came across Rose Schnitzer Manor and was able to make an appointment. They were very well regarded as being well known to be non-profit and Jewish community. The first thing I noticed with Rose Schnitzer Manor is that it's very clean and beautiful. They have chosen a setting in the part of the city where they're backed up with a wooded area. They even developed the trail so it's very serene. The building itself is very clean. It makes you feel like you're not in a cold place. It's kind of a place that is nice to visit. The people who are working there seem to have low turnover. They know my dad, and they seem to know everyone. Everyone from the front desk to the staff, the nurses and to the administrators knows my dad. I chose a room with one bedroom separate from the living room for dad. It's at the end of the hall. It has windows with a lot of light that shines in. My dad loves the food. What my brother and I were happy about is that they do a good job of providing well rounded meals. They make sure that he gets the nutrients that he needs.

By Diane13

I've heard of Rose Schnitzer Manor from a friend. It's a lovely home. Everybody is friendly. All the care workers are. They are like a family. My mom is very happy there. She participates in all of the activities there all the time. She does the play writing and bridge lessons on Friday and art on Wednesday. She has an apartment there which is extremely wonderful. She has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and the most beautiful balcony with flowers every Spring.

By Cynthia7

It's a very vibrant place with lots of activities going in. The residents seemed relaxed and at home. What impressed me most is the longevity and the caring of the staff. It's a place that put a high priority of the dignity of the residents. My mom's room is very spacious with high ceilings and lots of windows. It's on the ground floor which is convenient because she has a dog and she can get out for walks with the dog very easily. I have eaten there several times. There's a diverse menu and the food has always been excellent. Overall it's a very good value.

By Karen31

I'm very very pleased with Rose Schnitzer Manor. My mother is very happy there. It's one of the best retirement homes that I've ever seen. I'm very pleased with the care. It's just lovely there. I'm not ready to retire but I've move in there in a minute. It's just very cozy. The food is good. The room is not depressing and it smells good. It's just really nice. My mom has been there for more than 4 years. The staff is very sweet when they come in and give my mother her pills. My mom needs a lot of assistance. They're very chatty with her. My mom is a type of person that is not demanding. She's very sweet and she appreciates everything they do. There's a lot activities there. However, my mom really cannot do much because her body hurts her a lot. She's using a walker.

By Pat17

I think in particular, I've been really impressed with the staff at Rose Schnitzer Manor. They seemed very knowledgeable and kind. They have really good activities there. My mom loves them and I am also impressed with the quality of their activities. They have a writing group which is my mom's favorite. She likes all the different exercise classes like yoga. They also have arts and craft class. My mom loves scrabble and they even have a professional scrabble player come in. She's also interested in all the different lectures when they bring in outside people. They have like a university process there. She has a small apartment, but it's nice. It's modern and has lots of windows for light to come in.

By Leslie8

My dad said that if he ever had to go into assisted living, Rose Schnitzer Manor is the only place he would consider moving because of the Jewish population. I think that the facility is beautiful and that it's very well maintained. The apartments are very nice and very comfortable for the residents. The staff is absolutely fantastic. There's always somebody there no matter what the need is. My dad has all the care that he possibly need. When there's something acute, they are always able to step up the care temporarily if needed. We eat there a lot and from my point of view I think the food is pretty good. I think that from the residents point of view, it's a bit repetitious. Also other than the salad bar, I don't think that enough vegetables is being served. I think the're just not getting enough fresh vegetables. Generally food is always fine. There's big selection and alternative menu but I can imagine from the resident's point of view who's there everyday, it might get pretty repetitious. My dad is in a one-bedroom apartment. It's perfect for him. The facility itself gives us peace of mind. If there are 4 or 5 days that we can't see him, we know that he is well taken care of. We have no concerns or whatsoever about his care and well-being and that is 100% attributed to staff and the ways things are setup at the manor. It's a type of place that gives family members absolute peace of mind about their love one.

By Wendy6

I was looking for a way to help my mom and my step-dad who were having some trouble keeping up their own home after 31 years there. My brother who lives in Baton Rouge, LA has a client in Los Angeles who suggested we look at Cedar Sinai Park since both of my mom and step-dad are Jewish. So I went and talked to Deborah and she was very supportive. She gave me a large stack of information and not just about Cedar Sinai Park but about senior residences all over. She encouraged me to look around and talk with them. She impressed me from the moment I walked in the door just to check it out. My step dad had a really bad fall at their home which necessitated that he go ultimately to a nursing home. Before we knew he needed nursing home care, we looked at a number of other places. I even took my mom to few others. I did a lot of research online and made a lot of phone calls to different organizations and facilities before we agreed to choose Cedar Sinai Park. When we went to talk with Deborah and thinking that my mom and dad would be be able to live in assisted living together in an apartment there, Deborah felt that my dad really need a higher level of care and so she pointed us to a nursing home. It made sense for my mom to move in to Rose Schnitzer Manor so she didn't have to drive back and forth to be with him. She also needed to stop driving. It gave her the community that she needed. My dad passed away in May. Rose Schnitzer Manor was really helpful even with my dad when he was alive. They've worked with us so that I could bring my dad over by the fire and sit there at night before he passed away. My mother loves it there. Her apartment is charming. She's thrilled with it. She's thrilled with the quality of the building and the surroundings. They were very helpful especially at the beginning. Deborah and Stephanie were always very kind and very helpful. All the staff has been very responsive, supportive, helpful and very very kind.

By Alan1

One of my very first impressions was that the core management team has been there for a long time. It represents a certain degree of stability and that was really important to me. When I toured the facility, it became apparent to me that they're very professional people. They had been doing this for a long time. Unfortunately my father has fairly advanced dementia. I had to make all the decisions for him. It's even more important for me to make sure that I'm making the right decisions. I just felt a great deal of assurance talking to them. The more people I talked to there, the more comfortable I felt that his needs would be met. Everybody from the marketing people to the director of the facility to the help care providers, from top to bottom, I felt a high degree of comfort with them. The physical upkeep of the facility is outstanding. Everything is always very clean and orderly.

March 01, 2013

It was my fathers choice to be at Rose Schnitzer Manor. He is extremely happy there. Being there has been an incredible thing for his morale. The people there care for him. He's totally engaged and active in the activities. One slight drawback I think is that everyone is paying a lot of money. You pay extra if the nurse gives you medicine and things like that. I was thinking that it was already part of the package and it isn't. He has a studio apartment. Occasionally, I think that if he has complaints about the food, he has raised it to the people responsible directly. I haven't really eaten a meal there but I've had some cookies and they're really good. My dad is really happy with Rose Schnitzer Manor. He came under very trying circumstances. The difference in him in 6 months has been amazing. He has incredibly improved a lot. They're very good about notifying my sister and I if there are any medical problems. Everyone is really on top of things. They're also open to suggestions.

By Michael15

I was referred by a Senior Care Specialist to 3 institutions and I looked at all of them. I thought that given the level of care and the location, Rose Schnitzer Manor would be the best for my mom. The staff there is excellent and very good. My mother likes the food there. I've had a couple of lunches there and they were good. My mom has been with Rose Schnitzer Manor since April 2012.

By Debra6

My mother wants to be in a Jewish facility. She wants to be in a Jewish culture. When we got there, the place was so clean. Everybody was so friendly. Everybody treated everybody with great respect and honor and I really appreciate that. They really do take care of her there. There are a lot of things available for her to do as far as activities. Their activities are mentally stimulating. The people working there are very patient and very respectful.

By Barbara16

We chose Rose Schnitzer Manor because for one thing, it's the only Jewish facility in our state. We don't keep kosher but we prefer a Jewish facility and that was really important to us. Even being a nice Jewish facility, if it wasn't also really clean and also has really good activities, we probably wouldn't have chosen it. So it's a combination of those factors. My mother has a studio apartment there. The staff is really efficient. She is in the assisted living facility because she needs help with getting dressed and bathing. The staff who helps her is very sweet. The facility made her do things that she had never done before in her entire life. She's the chairman of the religion committee and she's very active there. She is appreciated for being an organized and outgoing person at Rose Schnitzer.

September 08, 2011

By A Gerontologist

Located on a beautiful campus of 6.5 acres, this is an upscale community offering independent living and assisted living, which will soon be expanding - along with memory care, in-home care, and skilled nursing. They also cooperate to build housing in the area for people with low incomes or disabilities. Rose Schnitzer is a really good organization - primarily a Jewish community, although other denominations are accepted. All residents would have to feel comfortable with Jewish life and culture. The mission of the place, providing compassionate care, and how the staff goes about achieving it, with great professionalism, combine to make this a top facility in the area. There is ample parking for visitors, and several pleasant outdoor areas for residents to enjoy - including landscaped trails with benches and safety rails. The facility is in an older building and there's some talk of remodeling it. It is well maintained presently, though extremely clean, with nice art throughout. There are lots of private spaces and nooks for people to gather outside their rooms. The place is designed so that there are lots of ways to get in and out, which is good - especially because there is a policy of accepting pets. There are also many activities and events held here - a lot of programs featuring culture and the arts. For those who run out of money, there is an Endowment Fund that will help pay expenses. The administrator and director of nursing are friendly and accommodating, and there is extremely low turnover in staff; some people have been there for more than a decade. They pride themselves on giving excellent care; and they achieve that. You get a sense there is a mission of care, rather then being in it for the money. The individual apartments have high ceilings, lots of closet space, good storage space and lighting. The dining room is rather old-fashioned, but looks elegant. Residents report that they enjoy the food. The memory care unit is small, but has a good reputation for care. One possible downside for some: This facility has a thorough screening process, which can seem intimidating to those applying, and requires potential residents to get their medical records in order, for example.

August 25, 2011

By Ann Cason

Other

Located on the former site of the Old Men's Hebrew Fraternal Association, the current owners of Rose Schnitzer, assisted and independent living, pride themselves on maintaining Jewish values, but openly accept residents outside the faith.. There is a strong feeling of belonging, here, no matter what your faith or lack of it. (Also, they are part of a larger organization called Cedar Sinai who also have nursing home care, adult day care, in-home care as well as low income housing for the aged and disabled) When you walk in, you face a fireplace with a magnificent picture of Rose Schnitzer above it, which may be part of what makes people feel welcome. Nice original artwork is hung throughout the facility, which also adds an elegant touch. There is also a sense of tradition here, such as a glass of wine with Friday night dinner. The main dining room (there's more than one) is beautiful, with excellent food and service; it feels like eating in a good sit-down restaurant. A married couple who have been there along time, part of the wait staff, greet the residents and help them get seated. You always feel welcome. Other caregiving staff also work well as a team. They use walkie-talkies to communicate with each other keeping track of who needs what and where. The activities are good and varied. There is a nice art room. There's a bridge club and different kinds of games. They also have very professional concerts featuring violinists, singers and choirs as well as interesting lectures. And Rose Schnitzer Manor has a choir of its own.. There's an emphasis on exercise. They have good classes and many of the residents go outdoors and walk around the complex. It's a nice walk. Also, there is a lot of walking within the building. What makes Rose Schnitzer function so well is its businesslike policy. They know what they can and can not provide in assisted living and deliver exactly what they say. But it could seem like tough love. If there were a choice between the elder's safety or independence they would go with the safety. This might mean requiring you to hire extra care for a time or moving into nursing home care. (The Robison Center is right across the street) Or you might be able to use their special day care program which is much less expensive than 24-hour care and also provide many fitting activities; especially for those with severe memory challenges. And residents who require extra help after coming out of rehab can get it easily by hiring caregivers from their own in-home care agency.

Independent Living Reviews for Rose Schnitzer Manor

• Hebrew
  • Spanish

• State Licenses: 1812069117

• About Rose Schnitzer Manor

Rose Schnitzer Manor is a senior living provider in Portland, Oregon that offers residents Assisted Living, Independent Living, and Continuing Care Communities. Contact Rose Schnitzer Manor for more details on services and rates.

Map of Rose Schnitzer Manor