Also known as the “Oasis of West Texas,” San Angelo is a vibrant small city with year-round warm weather and a growing population of older adults. It’s home to more than 100,000 residents, and 15% of those are seniors aged 65 and over. Retirees in San Angelo have access to excellent healthcare at Shannon Medical Center. This hospital received Medicare’s coveted five-star ranking and scored above average in timeliness of care, readmission rates and overall patient experience. Nursing home costs are much more affordable than they are nationwide, too. According to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey, the cost of a semiprivate room in San Angelo is just $4,489 per month.

Nursing homes can be ideal for seniors who need around-the-clock care. Features include 24-hour supervision, stringent security measures, medical services and help with residents’ activities of daily living. Nursing home costs can be pricey, however. Seniors who don’t need this high level of care may consider more affordable options, such as home care or assisted living.

This guide provides an overview of the costs of nursing homes and other types of care, plus a list of free resources for seniors in the San Angelo area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in San Angelo, TX

Park Plaza Nursing & Rehabilitation

2210 Howard Street , San Angelo, TX, 76901

I went to Park Plaza Nursing and Rehabilitation. My impression was good. I think they were good on price. I did talk to a knowledgeable person. They were helpful. They were knowledgeable, certainly. O … (read more)

Cedar Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation

1915 Greenwood St., San Angelo, TX, 76901

I recently admitted my mother into this facility ,just before covid19 hit. I know that my mother can be very demanding at times, how ever when I spoke to the administrator James he told me she would w … (read more)

Sagecrest Alzheimers Care Center

438 E Houston Harte Expy, San Angelo, TX, 76903

Our whole experience with Baptist Memorial was excellent. Everyone was so kind and caring. Our loved one received the best of care. We give Sagecrest high praise. We were well informed about him at al … (read more)

Meadow Creek Nursing and Rehabilitation

4343 Oak Grove Boulevard, P.O. Box 3304, San Angelo, TX, 76904

My mother was in Meadow Creek Nursing and Rehabilitation. I do know that they’re more expensive than some places. I think the employees are pretty good, and I think they’re very skilled in what they d … (read more)

Trisun Care Center Regency House

3745 Summer Crest Dr, San Angelo, TX, 76901

Horrible, horrible place!! Do not send your loved ones here. They are far too under staffed and your loved one will be significantly neglected. My father was there a few days. I went on a shirt weeken … (read more)

Senior Care Of San Angelo

5455 Knickerbocker Road , San Angelo, TX, 76904

My father was here for a little under a month. We had multiple issues. Within the first few days he was rushed to the emergency room for a blood sugar of 564 due to not having the correct insulin regi … (read more)

Arbor Terrace Health Care Center

609 RIO CONCHO DR, San Angelo, TX, 76903

Shannon Medical Center

2018 PULLIAM, San Angelo, TX, 76903

West Texas Ltc Partners Inc

1915 Greenwood St, San Angelo, TX, 76901

Nursing Home Costs in San Angelo, Texas

The cost of a semiprivate room in a San Angelo nursing home is $4,489, compared to $6,696 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

A semiprivate room in San Angelo is more than $3,200 less expensive than the nationwide rate of $7,756. It’s also $530 less than the average seniors pay throughout Texas.

At $4,380, rates in Abilene are about $100 lower than in San Angelo. To the northwest in Lubbock, costs increase by over $800 to $5,293. Farther west in Odessa, the average cost is on par with the statewide average. Although Midland is less than 30 minutes northeast of Odessa, average nursing home costs here are almost $900 higher at $5,916 per month.

$4489

Midland

$5019

Odessa

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing homes can be expensive, so seniors and their families might want to compare more affordable options. Adult day care is generally the lowest-cost choice, although 2020 rates for San Angelo weren’t available. Home care costs an average of $3,932. Home health care rates are identical, even though it also includes some medical services that regular home care doesn’t. Assisted living, which provides personal care, accommodations and meals, costs around $4,400. A semiprivate nursing home room is only about $90 more, but a private room is much pricier at $6,696.

$3932

Home care

$3932

Home health care

$4400

Assisted living

$4489

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6696

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in San Angelo, Texas

Free Resources for Seniors in San Angelo, Texas

San Angelo and Tom Green County offer a number of free resources, programs and supportive services for seniors and their families. This list includes some resources that may allow seniors to get care at home or learn about their nursing home care options in the area.

ResourceContactService
Concho Valley Area Agency on Aging(325) 223-5704The CVAAA promotes independence, healthy living and aging with dignity for older adults in the Concho Valley region. Staff can provide seniors and their families with information about long-term care options, as well as benefits counseling for Medicare/Medicaid. Low-income seniors may be eligible for CVAAA’s care coordination program, which allows them to receive care in their own home. The program includes medical services, housekeeping, transportation and financial aid.
Meals for the Elderly San Angelo(325) 655-9200As part of Meals on Wheels, the Meals for the Elderly program delivers hot and healthy lunches to seniors in San Angelo. To qualify, recipients must be aged 65 or older and unable to grocery shop or prepare their own meals. Volunteers can also deliver free supplemental pet food for seniors who own dogs or cats.
Concho Valley Community Action Agency(325) 653-2411CVCAA provides a variety of services that can enable seniors to remain in their homes for as long as possible. Residents of limited financial means may be eligible for aid through CVCAA’s rent payment and utility assistance programs. The organization also offers home weatherization, which includes insulation, caulking and repair or replacement of air conditioning and heating units.
San Angelo Senior Services(325) 657-4490The City of San Angelo’s Senior Services department encourages independent living with programs and activities at the city’s two senior centers. Some offerings include wellness classes, group exercises and meals served in a congregate setting.