MacGregor Downs Health and Rehabilitation Center

Reviews of MacGregor Downs Health and Rehabilitation Center

Nursing Home Reviews for MacGregor Downs Health and Rehabilitation Center

October 30, 2014

By TKRpatient

I had high hopes that this facility would meet the positive reviews I had read despite aa couple of negative reviews re: staffing and response time. I was admitted at 2pm following 6 days hospital care following total knee replacement to continue my rehabilitation. I had to call 911 to have EMS transpot me to Vidant ER because they would not or could not (depending on which 3 versions I have heard) provide my pain medication (which was ordered q 3 hrs in the hospital) on request about 5 hours after my last administration. I then asked for medication to head of a panic attack, also refused. This problem points to problems in staffing. My friend was told they did not have anyone available who could administer the narcotic medication. My brother was told that it was not due until 5am (I had asked for it between 1 and 2 am. ). I was told they did not have any medication available for pain and would not until they got their delivery the next day. When I realized that my pain was getting ahead of me, I demanded they call my doctor or send me to the er. They did not. I am in agony and full panic mode by this time. There is no one during all of this that is offering any options, like ice. I was told by a can to settle down and be quiet. This is all going on over a period of hours. I call my MD. He hears me hyperventilating and instructs me to call 911 and go to ER which o did. Again no one was in the room trying to help me and I am screaming in agony and panic. EMS arrives and is taking me out of the room and magically the nurse appears with my medication. Issues: staffing: presence of staff credentialed to administer narcotic medication, knowledge of staff to offer optioo for increasing comfort if medication not available at the time, training of staff to deal appropriately with patients who are having a hard time. Response time. It was approximately 20 minutes from the first time I used the call bell until someone arrived to see what I needed. My roommate told me it could take 30 minutes or more.for them to come. The nurse arrived about 10 minutes later. By that time my pain was getting ahead of me. She told me I did not have anything and left. I rang the call bell again, no one was responding, my pain and panic were rising and it was at that time I started screaming and yelling. The response I got from a CNA was to settle down and be quiet. To be fair, the facility appears clean and the OT and PT staff I met seemed to be competent and caring. But I have yet to hear from the Director of Nursing (several messages left for her to call me). I think this is probably a better than average place, but before placing a loved one there, visit, and visit at different times of the day. Talk to the residents and ask about how long it takes to get a call button responded to. Ask about how medications, especially narcotics, are administered and if there is credentialed staff there all the time so if a dose in the middle of the night is needed, it can be administered. Ask to see what training their staff receives, and what percentage actually complete these trainings. Visit after midnight to see what night shift is like.my experience was so bad I refused to go back and I would do everything in my power to stay out of a nursing facility in the future.

September 09, 2014

By Janice46

Golden LivingCenters - Greenville was clean and well-staffed. Everybody seemed sincere and really cared about your well being

August 20, 2013

By Collinswanda

My mother was a resident of Golden Living for a little over 2 years. During that time I felt that my mother was very well taken care of. The nurses and CNA's were very professional, caring and some of the most dedicated and hard working individuals I have ever encountered. She received excellent speech, physical and occupational therapy. The activities and recreation staff was topnotch. I always felt my mom was in loving and capable hands. When my mother passed, one of the activities and recreation staff was by my side. One CNA who was not working at the time of my mother's passing, came out to GLC to be by my side. She also volunteered to give my mom a bath before someone from the funeral home came to pick her up. This was 11:00 on a Saturday evening. I believe this qualifies for going above and beyond the call of duty. Several of the staff came to her funeral. Sending a parent to a nursing facility is never an easy decision, but I was always sure that my mother was given the best care possible.

July 05, 2011

By Doug

The place is quite large, and it's just in the suburban area. The staff is professionals and courteous. I notice a nice sense of humor in several nurses because i over heard them joking and carrying on a conversation with a few residents. I was there to visit my cousin and he told me the staff treats him great and shows him respect and he couldn't ask for a better place to live. During my visit i also notice how clean the place was. The food that was being cooked smelled delicious. As i was leaving, walking out the front entry the staff members at the front desk told me "" have a nice day"" the communications were awesome. Two thumps up

About MacGregor Downs Health and Rehabilitation Center