Johanna Shores

Assisted Living Reviews for Johanna Shores

Independent Living Reviews for Johanna Shores

October 28, 2015

By Rolf H.

Johanna Shores seemed to be fairly new. The view was good from the rooms. The dining area was very close to the rooms. Overall, I had a positive feeling. The people involved were the medical people and I believe the housing director. It was built on a lake. It had two intersecting streets outside of it. They offered community activities, such as chapel. I thought they had a place for the residents to exercise. I would recommend it. However, I thought it was more expensive than the other ones.

April 20, 2015

By Joannie1

I absolutely loved Johanna Shores the most. It's the one that I want to move into when I get old. It was on a lake. It's gorgeous as far as the interior of the place. It's like a resort hotel. It doesn't seem like it would be an assisted living for seniors. They had a fitness center and a party room that you can rent out. They had arts and crafts, and they had outings. They've got different wings for different progressions. They can be moved within the facility as they progress.

October 18, 2014

By Caring96219950

Mom likes Johanna Shores. She likes the independent feeling of the facility. She likes the washer and dryer in her apartment, and that was important for mom. We are on their waiting list right now. They have good meal options, and the staff are very excellent.

July 29, 2014

By George88256950

Johanna Shores is up-to-date and modern. It’s also very well appointed. There are a lot of new additions and amenities. It did not require a large down payment. However, I didn’t like the administrator who took me around.

May 29, 2014

By Eleanor6

Johanna Shores had absolutely everything. It was very spacious, but that's why I didn't choose it. It was too big. It's clean and very extravagant. I got to see where your bed is in the living room, but I didn't get to see a 1-bedroom apartment. They have bingo and pool therapy. They have balance training, and they have an ice cream shop. They have a store and a theater.

April 21, 2014

By Sharon48

Johanna Shores is wonderful. My mother-in-law is there right now. The staff is absolutely wonderful. They have a lot of activities for their residents. My mother-in-law's room is a one-room studio apartment. It is big enough for her to have all amenities at home. The dining room is wonderful. They have three different dining rooms she can go to. She loves every bit of food there. Overall, this place is phenomenal.

January 23, 2014

By caring83918750

My dad didn't live at Johanna Shores, so I don't know about the care that they would have. But as far as the visual aspect and what they have to offer, I'd say it's a five. They've got the pool, the theater, a barber, and a little store, so everything is right there for people who can't get out all the time. It looked clean and well-kept.

August 20, 2013

By harpgirl

I visited Johanna Shores for my parents. It is a new facility. It is elegant. We didn't get to see an apartment but the surroundings are beautiful. They have movie room, which is just a separate theater. They also have an exercise room. However, the atmosphere of this facility didn't strike me as warm as the other facility I've looked at. Nevertheless, we did sign up for Johanna Shores because it takes two years to get in.

August 18, 2013

The ambience at Johanna Shores was better than the other facility that we visited. It was very nice looking and it was close to our daughter as well. We were not able to taste the food since it was a short visit.

Nursing Home Reviews for Johanna Shores

July 08, 2017

By king49

Have had a great experience with my Great aunt and they have been very friendly and have provided great care for her!

March 17, 2017

By Janet Watson Clark

Don't let the prettiness of the lake view and the nice facilities sway you to place your loved one here. This has been a horrific experience - and my brother-in-law has only been there a week! We're moving him ASAP! Meds given whenever the medication aide wants to hand them out instead of at the times the doc prescribed them. Have talked to med aide and her boss but she doesn't care, and she lied to patient's wife. Parkinson's meds are supposed to be given at 9 am, 1 pm, 6 pm; she gave him his meds today at 9:15 am and 11 am (instead of 1 pm); the other day, she gave him the 1 pm meds at 1 AM! The med aide was extremely rude to the nurse and the patient's wife (my sister). Her non-caring attitude was awful. Obviously the talk with the nurse and my sister two days ago had no affect on her; she continues to dispense when she wants to, or is convenience for her, instead of at the correct times. After admitting him at 2 pm, he received NO WATER until 2:45 pm THE NEXT DAY - and that was only because he requested 2 Tylenol. It took over an hour and FIVE requests to get the meds, 2 requests by the patient, 2 by his spouse, and finally 1 by me when I went to the nurse and said if he didn't receive them within five minutes, I would give him some out of my purse. The nurse told me that the med aide is supposed to dispense medicine; I said that apparently she isn't going to do it soon because it had already been over an hour, and asked if she, as a nurse, had dispensing privileges. She delivered the Tylenol within 2 minutes. There were no towels in his room; we had to ask for some; they brought 2 washcloths and one hand towel. I had to ask for a bath-sized towel, and she was reluctant to leave it, but did. The patient uses a supra catheter; the bag is on his leg during the day, at night it is supposed to be switched to the large bag hanging on his bed. The first night, it was not switched, and the bag became loose and full during the night. My brother-in-law used the call light twice (with no success) so went into the bathroom and sat on the tile floor for almost an hour trying to figure out how to unhook it and empty it. When the CNA came in, she claimed the urine was usual colored; when my sister and I arrived 4 hours later, the urine was dark red. The nurse in charge said not to worry about it...even though the urine had never been that color before, it was "old blood" (not fresh) and was probably from the insertion of the catheter the day before. The next day, the urine was pink; the catheter was irrigated, and three hours later, there was no urine in the bag at all; there was a blockage. Two days later, there was a problem again and the patient had to be taken to the hospital for a reinsertion. A leg bag was found in his dirty laundry basket yesterday; the day before, the large round bed bag was found, dirty, on the bathroom floor. (And why would a toilet brush be next to a toilet in a nursing home instead of kept on a cleaning cart?) Our mother was in a nursing home for 9 years; we know how it is supposed to work. And this is definitely NOT how it works. We have had someone stay the past three nights on a cot in the patient's room so he can be watched and seen to it that everything goes well, so his wife can get some sleep. There are other things going on too, but there has been ABSOLUTELY NO peace of mind for my brother-in-law or his wife about his care at Johanna Shores. My sister has spoken to three levels of administrators who all say, "This is not who we are." Well, it IS who they are! They are incompetent, understaffed, and this has been an awful experience.

Dear Ms. Clark, I am very sorry for the experience you and your family had here at Johanna Shores. We believe we are called to honor God by caring for older adults. What you describe is not reflective of how we operate as a mission-based organization. Please know that specific action plans and training were carried out as a result of this situation. I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you’d like to call me directly. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience here and wish God’s blessings for you and your family.

Paul Spencer, RN Johanna Shores Gables Clinical Administrator

December 30, 2015

By Jenny18

My dad is comfortable and happy. They take good care and are very respectful to each individuals likes and dislikes. He has had to move several times, and we are at peace with his care.

Memory Care Reviews for Johanna Shores

Services and Amenities of Johanna Shores

• Condos Townhomes
  • Detached Homes

• Dining Extra: Restaurant Dining

• Hiking Trails
  • Pool
  • Features Extra: Aquatic Center, Chapel, Library, Oak Cabinetry, Walk In Storage, Heated Indoor Car Wash Bay

• Technology Extra: Pendant/Call System

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Billiards And Entertainment Room

• Home Sale Assistance
  • Financial Aid

• Pets: Yes

• Occupational Therapy
  • Range Of Services Extra: Massage Therapy, On Site Dental Care, On Site Medical Care, Nurse Coordination Of Laboratory Requests

Types of care

• Exercise
  • Meal Preparation

Payment options

• Credit Card
  • Check

About Johanna Shores

Johanna Shores is a senior living provider in Arden Hills, Minnesota that offers residents Assisted Living, Independent Living, Nursing Homes, and Memory Care. Contact Johanna Shores for more details on services and rates.

Map of Johanna Shores